what sort of reel for a marker bouy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm with Chris H on this and think a small reel works best and the small ones aren't that much bigger to carry.

I like having a handle to assure i don't lose the bag. If done right, you don't have to put finger pressure on the reel to assure it doesn't "birdnest", you just need to make sure you get enough air in the bag in the first place and adjust in a little tension on the stop screw. Neither are a biggie if you practice them.

A spool is nice in warmer water where you don't have thicker exposure protection on your hands but imo spools get to harder to manipulate and easier to lose control of, with thicker gloves/mitts.

Either will work fine if you practice and use correct technique when using them. I just prefer the reel as my standard because most of the diving i do is in colder water.

I use the delrin and while it is expensive it is tough and most importantly its negative. I dove in Cozumel with a fellow who used a pvc spool, its cheaper but positve. So when the spool pops off (which seems to happen to everyone at least once+, his spool was on the surface while he was making his descent. I can see this being a problem if you let it go (by mistake) while filling you SMB. #1 rule. Have the current at your back when you deploy the bag! Or you risk a quick, dangerous ride to the surface. This happened to me when first practicing technique and I witnessed a very experience DM/Instructor do it recently. So, you want current coming from behind, pushing string away.

Excuse the ignorance, but how do you wind it up with no handle on assent ?

Wingtip:
I have recently switched to the Terkel Spool it is billled as a "cold water" spool easy enough to use with gloves but the balance on this thing is incredible. You can let it go and just watch it spin perfectly vertical in the water column. (best to get ahold of it again before the bag reaches the surface though, FYI)

One of my buddies used an interesting device once. It was a positively buoyant piece of foam that attaches to a negatively buoyant reel. The two parts mated together well and were neutrally buoyant together. You just unhook the foam piece and it heads for the surface while the reel stays put.

No idea who made it, and I've never seen one online, but I think it's a cool idea.

Thanks, seems like a slow process to me !
Do they not do a reel that automatically winds in when slack on some sort of spring ?
Steve

torbaydiver:
Thanks, seems like a slow process to me !

Man, let me tell you.....

You don't want to be going up that quickly anyway, so who cares? Gives you something to do :wink:

Trident makes a Great SMB that we use..complete with flag..it is a tire tube with nylon cover..and zips..Good for taking out a bottle of water or orange slices if You snorkel or freedive for fish. We clip it off with 1 or 2 lbs of the led weights with brass snaps. It holds the extra equipment and our GPS to mark a good dive sight or fishing spot. We use a pelican case for the GPS and as far as a reel..We have access to parachute cord..550 cord. it's cheap..550 lb breaking strength..You can find it at Army/Navy stores..and much cheper and replaceable than expenive reels. I wouldn't recommend it for wreck diving..but for a Float..Works Great..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom