what sort of reel for a marker bouy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Freeflyer once bubbled...
I was thinking more for just the 15 safety stop, or to show positioning surfacing near a boat.
For this sort of "don't run me over" type signalling I just wrap 30' of 2mm cord around a 5"x45" orally inflated sausage. It works well for drift dives where you deploy the sausage upon reaching the 15-20' level. A small boltsnap is sufficient weight to pull the line down as I strip it off the sausage. If wound correctly, just the weight of the boltsnap will strip off the line. Then orally inflate the sausage and let it pop to the surface.

The Trident FM35 or similar is sold in a lot of dive shops as a surface signalling device. The Hi-Brite line of cord from the sailing section of a marine store seems to be the least prone to snarling. 3mm is easier to hold onto, but gets a bit bulky. The sausage/cord/boltsnap combo end up being a 5" x 2-1/2" diameter cylinder that easily fits into my BC pocket.

I was initially concerned that the sausage could be overfilled since it doesn't have an overpressure valve, but in practice you can even fully inflate it at 30' and it survives the ascent without bursting.

Charlie

p.s. This isn't an original idea --- it's just an adaption of similar methods used by lots of Cozumel DM's

Chris H once bubbled...
I have a Halcyon spool and although it is compact and easy to put in my drysuit pocket but it is really a pain to use.

In what way? Personally I think they are much easier to use for shooting an SMB.

As for letting the spool go while the line is coming off; I tried this on a 70ft deco stop and watched the spool go shooting to the surface and slowy make its way down to within 15 ft of where it needed to be (in my hand). Hold on to the spool:wink:

When you are shooting an SMB, make an loop with your thumb and forefinger (like an ok symbol) around the line and release the spool to prevent loosing it. Be sure to catch it when the bag hits the surface which should not be difficult.

Safest is, as you say, hold the spool, or rather make your thumb and forefinge the "axel".

James

Freeflyer once bubbled...
OK, so I've been looking at reels online, and they seem to be simply a spool of line wound onto an open plastic reel.

Nope, a reel has a cage and a crank. What you are describing is a spool.

And for this they charge $45.

Were you under the impression that scuba diving was cheap? :wink:.

Yea, like all scuba equipment they are over priced. You can get a delrin spool for about $25 on Ebay, much more reasonable.

Does anyone just get a small plastic reel used for something else and wind their own line on.

If all you want is something for safety stops that is not critical (i.e. you don't care of you break it occationally), go get a spool of medical tape (the white stuff). Remove the tape and voilia, a cheap plastic spool.

What sort of line would you recommend, I'm thinking thin braided would be ideal.

#24 line is great for an SMB.

James

James Goddard once bubbled...

In what way? Personally I think they are much easier to use for shooting an SMB.

When you are shooting an SMB, make an loop with your thumb and forefinger (like an ok symbol) around the line and release the spool to prevent loosing it. Be sure to catch it when the bag hits the surface which should not be difficult.

Safest is, as you say, hold the spool, or rather make your thumb and forefinge the "axel".

James

Thanks for the tips. I was using the spool during my deco procedures class and there was so much task loading going on the spool just added to the mess. I have big hands and I had dry gloves on too. I was fumbling with that spool a lot more than I should have been. I need to keep practicing lift bag deployment and decide which method I'm more comfortable with. Managing the line on the spool seemed to be my biggest problem.

James Goddard once bubbled...
If all you want is something for safety stops that is not critical (i.e. you don't care of you break it occationally), go get a spool of medical tape (the white stuff). Remove the tape and voilia, a cheap plastic spool.

#24 line is great for an SMB.

James

Hi James, thanks for the very informative answers. Funnily enough a tape spool is exactly what I found in the cupboard this morning and though, now that would do the job just fine. I'll check out ebay too.

Many thanks,

J.

Chris H once bubbled...

Thanks for the tips. I was using the spool during my deco procedures class and there was so much task loading going on the spool just added to the mess. I have big hands and I had dry gloves on too. I was fumbling with that spool a lot more than I should have been. I need to keep practicing lift bag deployment and decide which method I'm more comfortable with. Managing the line on the spool seemed to be my biggest problem.
When I was doing my deco pool and OW dives I used a spool. It was different than what I was used to, so I had to get used to it, but the key is be clear on the order that you do things. Practise to ensure that you are not switching the gear from hand to hand. Take your time. One thing at a time.

Take out your SMB, take hold of the bottom, let the rest float away from you.
Next unclip your spool, unclip the boltsnap from the spool and click to your D-ring (chest or crotch).
Take end of line and pass thru the bottom of the SMB and back and over the spool. Keep the spool line tight so it doesn't unwind. It should then be secured.
Have a reg ready to fill SMB (this can be the main reg while you breathe the backup or stage reg, don't use you stage reg for inflation as that gas you need for deco), place reg in mouth of SMB and hold in left hand. With right hand hold spool with thumb and finger.
Position body slightly head down (ready to fin to maintain position and counter act the SMB when inflated.
Fill the SMB with gas from reg, fin to maintian position.
Store reg.
Release SMB and let spool unwind as SMB shoots to the surface.
Then check depth and use bolt snap to lock off at stop height.

If it is done in slow motion it seems easier, don't try and rush it the first few times. I remember that I would take a few minutes and I would not get everything just right. But keep practising and it becomes a great way to ensure that you are safely holding your depth and not getting tangled in any of the gear.

I use a nice big slightly modified McMahon large reel for my DSMB and SMB use. Nice, easy to use and even with cold/numb fingers in the winter.
The only downside is its size means it isnt ever going to fit into a pocket.

Freeflyer:
OK, so I've been looking at reels online, and they seem to be simply a spool of line wound onto an open plastic reel.

And for this they charge $45.

Do you really pay that much, for something so simple. Does anyone just get a small plastic reel used for something else and wind their own line on.

What sort of line would you recommend, I'm thinking thin braided would be ideal. 50' should come to about $5

This seems to be ripe for DIY/Scavenging.

Cheers,

J.

PS. Anyone tried the buddy reel from APvalves.

http://www.apvalves.com/PktReel.html

Looks interesting, although more things to go wrong than a simple spool.
Go to www.aul-inc.com. Special on reels with double ended bolt snap. $5.00. Go for it.

They are really thin. I purchased one and keep it in my dive bag as a holder for my extra line and bolt snap. For that, its worth the $5. But, its a big spool that I think could easily be cracked if it banged against a rock or something and then you're left with this big birdsnest of line that can be dangerous. Plus, the spool is pretty wide so it doesn't really fit into a pocket.

I use a dive rite spool which I got on sale at Northeast scuba supply which is still on sale for $20. It may not be delrin but its nice thick plastic. http://www.northeastscubasupply.com/closeouts.html

I also use a reef scuba reel which you can take apart and put together underwater to clear any jams. I've actually tried this while hovering and it works!
http://www.reefscuba.com/reelsindex.htm

I hate the plastic, well for lack of a better word "spool" that comes with the rec. diver flag and float used in shore diving etc. It unspools and tangles etc. I was thinking of using an inexpensive wreck reel that I can let the line out and lock it. Any suggestion?

cheers
justin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom