What spg do you use and do you recommend it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it is clear and bright black works fine, if it is dark and murky and you need a light to read it, odds are white or black, you'll need a light either way.

I have a question regarding the SPG's, why does the gauge go all the way to 5000 PSI? On a standard aluminum tank, that's 2000 more than you need. I have HP100's myself, so now it's 1500 more than needed.

Even with overfilling, it's still a large unused part of the dial going to waste.

A 4000 PSI gauge would be a better use of gauge face real estate. You'd have to be really inattentive to overfill the HP tanks to peg the needle.

I do know there are some very high pressure tanks though, but they are very rare.

I've used three different SPG's [all w/50+ dives] and as others have mentioned they were all probably made by the same co. in Italy..All are 1.75" brass w/glass faces..... One is a Hog black face which I use when solo diving and has the best visibility....The second is an OMS dual scale that I use when diving w/people that are use to the metric system....The third is a standard SPG that I carry in my backpack in case one of the others fails or gets damaged.......I've had and used all three for years and never had a problem w/any of them......My favorite is the HOG black face....It's easier/quicker to read in dark environments......

I hope you're wrong, I'm planning on getting a few. But then Chris always makes good if there's a problem.

That is the main reason I was considering the HOG......Unbeatable customer service! Plus the black face looks saaweeeet, not that I consider buying gear because of looks but it's an added bonus.

My Atomic Cobalt dive computer has a pressure monitor and I use a small Halcyon Dive systems SPG as backup.

[/QUOTE]
My Atomic Cobalt dive computer has a pressure monitor and I use a small Halcyon Dive systems SPG as backup.

I use a SOL so I guess you could say the SPG would be my back up. I just want to get the most dependable one within my budget. Halcyon may be over my budget, I'll have to research prices.

Thanks to everyone for all the good info.

Back
Top Bottom