What Strobe For 5050

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jerrymxz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I wanted to know what everyone thinks is a good strobe to use with my 5050 and oly housing? I am not sure i can justify spending $600 for a top of the line unit. let me know what you think and what to avoid. Thanks in advance

Any strobe worth having is going to cost you close to $500. The others either aren't stronger enough to do you much good or they are undependable.I think you'll be better off using the cameras internal flash for awhile and save your money for a good strobe...S&S YS90DX, INON D-180 or Z-220, or Ikelie DS-125

I posted some links in another thread that had a couple of $200 strobes, an Epoque & a Sunpak.

I got a reply from an Epoque dealer in Australia who explained that it simply ignores the digital cam's pre-flash and uses whatever manual setting you select. The manual setting is adjustable between Guide Numbers 3-15, but I don't know how many settings there are. It has a 80x100 degree flash angle, which you could probably increase with a diffuser.

My 1st UW camera was an Epoque ET-110+. The picture quality was a step above the Bonicas & Sea Snappers etc., but the hardware was cheap. After about a year and a half, the rewind motor started flaking out then the film spool cracked.

I haven't heard a word from Sunpak.

There havebeen several posts reporting bad experiences with Epoque strobes. I've also read similar stuff on other forums. Epoque isn't considered a serious contender as an adequate strobe for a 5050. That's why I didn't include it. It's more in the range for point and shoot cameras.

What is a good strobe for the c5050 that will work with the PT-015. If someone can point me to a manufacture that would be great. I am very new at underwater photo.

In Japan the consensus seems to be the Inon D-180 or D-180s. I'm getting a D-180 but obviously haven't used it yet so can't comment further. The ads that Olympus place in the Japanese Underwater Photographer magazine always show the C-5050 with the D-180 - maybe that says something...

Crum...if you'll read the other posts, you get your answer.

Right now, most people are using the Sea & Sea YS90DX, Inon's D-180 or Z220, Ikelite's DS50 or DS125 are the three most popular brands and their models for the PT-15 housing.

I agree with Dee. I went cheap and bought the sea&sea ys-25dx ok for macro but bad for wide angle. I liked the size and wanted a compact setup vs my old nik 5 with the huge iklite stobes. All sold on e-bay! I am searching this site now trying to find someone to tell me to buy the INON D-180 this is what I am leaning towards and am doing my research right now. Dee mentioned the Z-220 and I was told that was for TTL and the D-180 was designed more for digital cameras using preflash or could have been the built in flash. Dee am I close here? I have the 5050z & PT-015. My other prob is do I go dual strobes or single I am leaning towards the dual setup more $. So I guess I will go single at first but buy a tray and arms so I can add the second stobe later. And with the Inon D-180 any thoughts on what brand of trays and arms are liked the most?

domino22:
I agree with Dee. I went cheap and bought the sea&sea ys-25dx ok for macro but bad for wide angle. I liked the size and wanted a compact setup vs my old nik 5 with the huge iklite stobes. All sold on e-bay! I am searching this site now trying to find someone to tell me to buy the INON D-180 this is what I am leaning towards and am doing my research right now. Dee mentioned the Z-220 and I was told that was for TTL and the D-180 was designed more for digital cameras using preflash or could have been the built in flash. Dee am I close here? I have the 5050z & PT-015. My other prob is do I go dual strobes or single I am leaning towards the dual setup more $. So I guess I will go single at first but buy a tray and arms so I can add the second stobe later. And with the Inon D-180 any thoughts on what brand of trays and arms are liked the most?

OK, here ya go. BUY THE INON D-180! :D I'd buy one in a New York minute if I could justify replacing my YS90DX. In fact, my YS90 is in the shop having the switch replaced and Ryan at Underwater Camera Pros has loaned me a D-180. I spent about 2 hours in the pool with it last weekend and I love it! It's small hut actually a bit heavier than the YS90, but not more than my Infinity arm can easily handle.

I also tried the ULCS arm and tray. Love the tray, the handle is the biggest reason. It's straight and heavily cushioned, more comfortable than the Fisheye. The ULCS arm was heavier than I want to deal with. The arm sections are light so it has to be the clamps that add the weight. It was heavy enough to change my trim, making it hard to hover horizontally, especially bad when close to the bottom. But as far a maneuverability, they are great.

If I was buying my rig right now, I'd get the ULCS tray, L&M Infinity arm and Inon D-180 strobe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom