what the different between using Nitrox and Normal Air to dive???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Op's got all kinds of info now...some really good info..some.... not.
..this forum..is not a class..
Why not just do the class?:acclaim:

(couldn't help myself...had to comment....just my 2cents)

Rainer, I do not have time now to read all of your references but I will. The test I went through did not require a scientist, they just put you in a chamber, blow you down to 60' on pure O2 and see how you tolerate it for 30 minutes. If there was a problem the O2 mask was taken off and you were back on standard air and back to yourself in a few seconds. It is simple and cheep to do! Given the price divers pay for safety equipment this should be a no brainer!

Yes, simple and cheap to do, and as those references I took the time to link for you show scientifically, the test you took was absolutely meaningless. The intra-subject variability is just too large for such tests to offer meaningful safety information.

Please educate yourself. I know, it takes time and effort. Invest.

Rainer, I do not have time now to read all of your references but I will. The test I went through did not require a scientist, they just put you in a chamber, blow you down to 60' on pure O2 and see how you tolerate it for 30 minutes. If there was a problem the O2 mask was taken off and you were back on standard air and back to yourself in a few seconds. It is simple and cheep to do! Given the price divers pay for safety equipment this should be a no brainer!

This test is standard operating procedure for the US Navy and the commercial diving industry. Are they all wrong? Do you know better? The only thing meaningless was your last post. Take your own advice and educate yourself.

BKP, They are not mixing fuel for the space shuttle! Why do they say it should cost this much? I have mixed trimix for dives to 700' and even though the O2% was much more critical it is not that hard!
Hey dude... don't get pissed at me, I don't mix my own gas, and I don't sell Nitrox -- I just breathe it occasionally...

You have a problem with what the dealer's charge, boycott 'em...

Nitrox was invented by NOAA for use at shallow water decompression stops not for diving at depth. The Navy Experimental Diving Unit said the increased risks of using Nitrox at depth far out weigh any benefits. For that reason I have never gotten involved in Nitrox but in all the posts in reference to using it I have never heard anyone talk about taking an oxygen tolerance test first. This test is standard operating procedure in commercial diving though for different reasons. Do the people teaching Nitrox have anyone take that test?

you know NEDU did some studies on oxygen tolerance and found that it was random and different for individuals from day to day... I can try and find the study I read if you would like.

BKP, I am not pissed at you or any one else for that matter! I don't use Nitrox based on the Navy recommendation not to use it. So as I have no experience with buying a Nitrox fill I was just asking you how they justify the cost.

BKP, I am not pissed at you or any one else for that matter! I don't use Nitrox based on the Navy recommendation not to use it. So as I have no experience with buying a Nitrox fill I was just asking you how they justify the cost.

Additional oxygen is used in the nitrox mixture which dive shops have to buy from a gas supplier and I suppose is at least one of the ways they justifiy the additional cost.

Fair 'nuff...

Most LDS's and dive charters don't run on huge margins... They do a service no one else does, and most of us (on this board) would be SOL without them. So, I really don't begrudge them their margin on EAN...

Now, if you wanna talk what it costs to fill my *car's* tank...

Bottom line. Nitrox is a tool. Use for appropriate applications. A 30' quarry dive. Yep. You wasted your money. A 150' deco dive using 24-25% bottom mix and a 50% deco mix. Well worth the money.

If you don't want to pay for it, go buy a compressor, whip, and some J bottles of O2 and mix. I think you'll find the cost of supporting the tools needed to blend will offset several overpriced fills.

Back
Top Bottom