What the hell are we gonna do during the Olympics?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hear BC Ferries is putting on midnight sailings during the Olympics

I know that much of the security (RCMP) is being housed on a cruise ship somewhere off shore and being shuttled to shore for their shifts. Do you think diving will be impacted for you guys because of that? My sister-in-law is in the RCMP and will be out there. When she told me where she would be staying a while ago I never thought about security risk as they relate to diving that week.

I know that much of the security (RCMP) is being housed on a cruise ship somewhere off shore and being shuttled to shore for their shifts. Do you think diving will be impacted for you guys because of that? My sister-in-law is in the RCMP and will be out there. When she told me where she would be staying a while ago I never thought about security risk as they relate to diving that week.

I'm sure that diving anywhere near a bridge or ship will get you in a whole heap of trouble during the Olympics.

All the popular diving sites are well beyond reasonable swimming distance of downtown or any Olympic sites. The biggest problem is most of the good sites are between downtown and Whistler, which could make for big traffic hassles.

I've seen a really nice RIB with dual 150hp outboards that is being used for Olympic security. I'd sure like to make that into the fastest dive boat in town, though you'd need to tie your hat on for the trip out to the dive site.

Just a thought for anyone going to Whytecliff or Caulfield, if Hwy. 1 becomes a problem, Marine Drive will probably still be OK, plus you get to gawk at all the big houses on your drive out there.

Good luck with the ferries, Mike. If you can make it to Horseshoe Bay, I'll be impressed. Mind you, you could almost walk there from home.

I think Nanaimo and the Sunshine Coast are off my list.

Tsawwassen *might* be doable to get to Victoria, but I wonder just how busy they'll be?

We use Tsawwassen and I am on the North Island...its straight off the highway and alot easier to get on when Departure Bay is crazy busy. For the 15 minutes of driving, I save at least 100 gray hairs. :) Well if I had hair. Something to think about.
U/O

I think we may have to organize a SB Mainlanders Meet & Greet with our SB Islander compatriots.

There's enough of you over there and many of us have never met.

I'm game for a weekend trip. Anyone else?

Back
Top Bottom