What to do about HORRIBLE instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know about NAUI, but PADI for sure takes complaints very seriously. And if there is a pattern or multiple complaints an instructor won't last long. After each class there is an evaluation sent directly from PADI, but the OP should probably also follow-up with a letter in this case.

PADI takes complaints very seriously, where they represent a breach of teaching standards or ethics (as defined with the instructor manual). They don't deal with business complaints. Much of what the OP complained about were 'business complaints'.

Instructors don't work for PADI. Consequently, PADI does not treat them as 'staff'. They are certified by PADI, but work for specific dive operations (or themselves). There's no point complaining to PADI about 'bad service' or financial disputes. They don't get involved.

Evaluation forms are only normally sent to a sample of each instructor's students. Less experienced/novice instructors are more routinely sampled...as are instructors under quality review. It is quite possible that the OP may not recieve an evaluation form. That forum asks specific questions regarding specific issues relating to the training. There's nowhere to comment on whether said instructor "was horrible".

Here is a link that illustrates PADI's Quality Assurance process: LINK

Notice that PADI do TWO THINGS:
(1) They contact the instructor and ask for their side of the story.
(2) They begin investigation for "standards related" issues only.

The REASON (for risk of repeating myself ad nausem) that myself and several other instructors have asked the OP to clarify the specifics... is so that we can assist him with identifying the specific standards violations that may have occured. Those standards violations are what PADI care about. So if the OP cared about having his complaint actioned by PADI... he should listen to the advice he is given here.

The fact he doesn't listen to that advice, from qualified, active and impartial instructors is very telling.

The REASON (for risk of repeating myself ad nausem) that myself and several other instructors have asked the OP to clarify the specifics... is so that we can assist him with identifying the specific standards violations that may have occured. Those standards violations are what PADI care about. So if the OP cared about having his complaint actioned by PADI... he should listen to the advice he is given here.

The fact he doesn't listen to that advice, from qualified, active and impartial instructors is very telling.

Good point.

I have read all 8 pages, and seeing the way the OP's attitude changed and seemed to get a little combative, before figuratively storming off in a huff makes me wonder if the reason he doesn't want the instructor to tell his side, is that there is a personality conflict. I personally would love clarification on the "injuries" and o/w divers as assistants, I have had aow students and rescue divers considering going on to divemaster "shadow" a class, but were by no means my CA. There are really 3 sides to hear, the OP's side(which in generalities we have heard), the instructor's side, and the truth. An open water students don't know if I am watching them or not, but I guarantee I know where they all are during training dives, even if I am not right in front of them or looking right at them. I have even came back with more students than I went out with, when an instructor from another store lost one.

After being insulted numerous times, I feel compelled to respond:

Just because I am not providing the information that you would like, DOES NOT mean I am exaggerating and lying. Did it ever occur to any of you that:

a.) I do not feel the need or want to rehash everything here?

b.) I came here for a specific reason, to find out what could be done. It was not necessary to share all of the details, ultimately, I needed to know a.) if there was a website review location and b.) what the process was to file complaints. Ultimately, I am happy with the information I received and I am going to pursue this.

c.) I recognize that you are WAY more experienced and advanced than I am, however, just because I am not seeking your opinions/advicce on whether these are truly offenses, does NOT mean I am exaggerating and lying. Perhaps, I am confident enough in the info I have...perhaps I am foolish for not seeking your advice, however, that does NOT mean I am lying and exaggerating. Ultimately, the agencies will make this determination anyways.

D.) Just because I am not providing a checklist of specific offenses, is NOT TELLING of anything other than I CHOSE NOT to share private details, that involve someone that is very, very likely a member here. Perhaps, some of these alleged offenses and details might be a bit more revealing than I would prefer to make public and I am NOT comfortable doing so.

e.) Regarding me becoming "a little combative, before figuratively storming off" what you may not realize is there was a couple of posts directed toward me that I believe were deleted by moderators that were becoming VERY "combative" because I was not willing to share details.

Thank you in advance for what I hope is your understanding.

Makes sense Fredlikes, and is ulitmately your choice. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Well said, Fred! :clapping:

Perhaps we would all do well with a little less jumping to conclusions and more respect for the OP's stated wishes. I agree that there was no reason to jump from "he won't tell us" to "he's got something to hide."

Just because a person doesn't instantly agree and follow ". . . advice, from qualified, active and impartial instructors . . ." doesn't mean he neither listened, nor heeded. He has every right to consider it all and make his own decision.

Perhaps we would all do well with a little less jumping to conclusions and more respect for the OP's stated wishes.

Certainly a lot of respect and no jumping to conclusions here:

I took an Open Water course with an instructor that was absolutely horrible. This person should not be teaching PERIOD. It was not safe, he was mean, offensive, demeaning, not patient, and at times not competent. These were the feelings shared by all of the students in the course. What if anything can be done? Do NAUI and PADI do anything when they get these types of complaints?

Why remove the identifying information? Would it not be important to those considering diving to know who they may want to stay away from? I wish I had research instructors before we signed up for our first class.

Because it is only one side of a story and may or may not be accurate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom