What to do about HORRIBLE instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Perhaps you should have started there.

It certainly would have avoided a lot of confusion.

And you could have avoided becoming a victim...again.

??????

The purpose of this thread was to find out where to go with his problem...therefore he could not have started with the agencies before starting this thread...?

*EDIT* I should have said it's my understanding that the purpose of this thread was to find the starting point.

??????

The purpose of this thread was to find out where to go with his problem...therefore he could not have started with the agencies before starting this thread...?

He had a problem with either a PADI or NAUI instructor but could not go to PADI or NAUI with his problem until he started this thread to ask where he could take his problem with either PADI or NAUI?

He had a problem with either a PADI or NAUI instructor but could not go to PADI or NAUI with his problem until he started this thread to ask where he could take his problem with either PADI or NAUI?

I think so. :idk: I can't remember exactly, but it seems the first post has been edited, however I could be wrong about this. I thought in essence he was asking where he should go to report an instructor? I'm not saying I'm 100% correct, that's just what I got from it in the beginning.

I think he is new and just doesn't know how things work.

SIZE="3"]Amazing. I read through these three pages and found that only two people (below) came even close to answering the OP's questions.

Jax, I respectfully disagree. From the very first response, members have been telling him to contact the appropriate agency, which strikes me as fairly obvious. Give them a call, write them a letter, shoot them an email, whatever. If that's all he wanted, this thread would have ended a long time ago, but for whatever reason, the drama never seems to stop.

I'm not trying to offend anyone but when the OP doesn't even mention "injuries" until the third or fourth post, I can't help but be suspicious. Getting yelled at is one thing. Getting injured is an entirely different and waaaaay more serious matter. I'm supposed to believe an entire class put up with this behaviour?

And refusing to write a review here but asking for advice on where else on the web to write up a review? WTF?

As the saying goes, I was born at night but not last night. Fred's a troll.

And it's too bad because there are a lot of great posts in this thread by a lot of very decent, caring people. To that end, I suppose, I give Fred thanks for that.

After being insulted numerous times, I feel compelled to respond:

Just because I am not providing the information that you would like, DOES NOT mean I am exaggerating and lying. Did it ever occur to any of you that:

a.) I do not feel the need or want to rehash everything here?

b.) I came here for a specific reason, to find out what could be done. It was not necessary to share all of the details, ultimately, I needed to know a.) if there was a website review location and b.) what the process was to file complaints. Ultimately, I am happy with the information I received and I am going to pursue this.

c.) I recognize that you are WAY more experienced and advanced than I am, however, just because I am not seeking your opinions/advicce on whether these are truly offenses, does NOT mean I am exaggerating and lying. Perhaps, I am confident enough in the info I have...perhaps I am foolish for not seeking your advice, however, that does NOT mean I am lying and exaggerating. Ultimately, the agencies will make this determination anyways.

D.) Just because I am not providing a checklist of specific offenses, is NOT TELLING of anything other than I CHOSE NOT to share private details, that involve someone that is very, very likely a member here. Perhaps, some of these alleged offenses and details might be a bit more revealing than I would prefer to make public and I am NOT comfortable doing so.

e.) Regarding me becoming "a little combative, before figuratively storming off" what you may not realize is there was a couple of posts directed toward me that I believe were deleted by moderators that were becoming VERY "combative" because I was not willing to share details.

Thank you in advance for what I hope is your understanding.

And this, after all that, is the exact indicator that your contribution to any negative experience would far have outweighed that, from others.

Fred isn't obligated to share any information about his class, Especially if it did indeed include an injury of some sort. Whatever organization that this instructor teaches under will do a more in depth investigation than that of the internet detectives on scuba board can theorize about.

While at the same time, I can agree with certain information helping the more experienced divers and instructors help him. Its not like a good teacher will loose his certs, from one upset diver coming out of his course. If everything was exaggeration or untruthful I'm sure the instructor will not suffer because of it.

After being insulted numerous times, I feel compelled to respond:

Just because I am not providing the information that you would like, DOES NOT mean I am exaggerating and lying. Did it ever occur to any of you that:

a.) I do not feel the need or want to rehash everything here?

b.) I came here for a specific reason, to find out what could be done. It was not necessary to share all of the details, ultimately, I needed to know a.) if there was a website review location and b.) what the process was to file complaints. Ultimately, I am happy with the information I received and I am going to pursue this.

c.) I recognize that you are WAY more experienced and advanced than I am, however, just because I am not seeking your opinions/advicce on whether these are truly offenses, does NOT mean I am exaggerating and lying. Perhaps, I am confident enough in the info I have...perhaps I am foolish for not seeking your advice, however, that does NOT mean I am lying and exaggerating. Ultimately, the agencies will make this determination anyways.

D.) Just because I am not providing a checklist of specific offenses, is NOT TELLING of anything other than I CHOSE NOT to share private details, that involve someone that is very, very likely a member here. Perhaps, some of these alleged offenses and details might be a bit more revealing than I would prefer to make public and I am NOT comfortable doing so.

e.) Regarding me becoming "a little combative, before figuratively storming off" what you may not realize is there was a couple of posts directed toward me that I believe were deleted by moderators that were becoming VERY "combative" because I was not willing to share details.

Thank you in advance for what I hope is your understanding.

It seems to me that you are quite angry. I think many of the instructors and other posters here are trying to help you differentiate between an instructor who has bad customer relations and an instructor who is dangerous or violating established training protocol.

The yelling and attitude of the instructor - probably customer service related and may not be actionable under PADI or NAUI standards.

Swimming away from inexperienced divers - may or may not be actionable. I've had instructors swim away from me and my buddy during classes to make a point. Also, perhaps your instructor knew from experience that you could handle yourself even though you didn't think so at the time.

Having open water divers "teach" your class - if this is true, it certainly violates training protocols. On the other hand, I've been invited to dive with students by an instructor just for fun. If a student was having an issue I would certainly offer assistance provided it didn't interfere with the learning process.

Other safety issues and injuries - please let us know. Diving is an activity that can cause injuries whether or not an instructor is present. On the other hand, if the instructor is causing the injuries or the injuries were caused by the instructor's negligence, please provide the details.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom