What To Do About Reckless Divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like beauty, recklessness is in the mind of the beholder.

One persons reckless diver is another persons very experienced diver. Those guys probably have done that dive numerous times and know what they are doing.

As long as I was not buddied with these guys, I'd go about my dive.

500psi is plenty with ten minutes of hang time unless something goes wrong. I assume at that point you were in 20' or less of water.

The only downside of that type of diving is that there is no room for anything to go wrong. If something does, than they are sharing air with someone on a tank that may not have enough air for two divers at 15'. Then again I can burn 1000psi over an hour at 25~30' in warm water, so 500psi maybe enough assuming the gauge is accurate.

personally, I defer to expertise, people know their own dive bodies better than I know theirs, I dive with someone in my group who exceeds my personal comfort zones for me, that is fine, they dive their dive, I dive mine, no stress. AND I would buddy with them anytime :) meaning, they would respect if I turned the dive for depth/time or any other reason . . . given my experience relative to theirs, they know it and I know it. They want to solo dive when I am buddied up with someone else, no worries there either.

Donna

im no expert but i have 75 dives, an advanced cert and i dive HP 119's, and ive been qestioned on why im down at 250psi. im 24 and run 10 miles a week, my sac might as well be 0. not trying to brag but if I/those guys know what their talking about, its their life to risk. I can shoot a fish at 500PSI finish it then head up and still reach the boat at 400 with a safty stop.
i gues bottom line is if i mess up i die not you.

Oh my goodness,

You are "no expert"!!! I'm hoping you are joking (trying to get others to "bite"). Anyway, I do not want to hijack this thread. But please, learn from others and on another thread, ask for advice about what you just wrote, because many of us believe what you just wrote is very foolish - and, if you learn from the experience of others, you will learn why, and live and dive longer.

drdaddy

im no expert but i have 75 dives, an advanced cert and i dive HP 119's, and ive been qestioned on why im down at 250psi. im 24 and run 10 miles a week, my sac might as well be 0. not trying to brag but if I/those guys know what their talking about, its their life to risk. I can shoot a fish at 500PSI finish it then head up and still reach the boat at 400 with a safty stop.

Yeeeaaaah. Okay, Zach. If your SAC is so close to 0, how do you possibly get down to 250 PSI diving a 119 without burying yourself in deco? Just askin'.

Yeah... but, if you're on my boat, and mess up, we'd probably have to haul your butt to a chamber, and blow our second dive... :wink:

Greetings Schubasteve and I would probably done the same thing hoping for the best if they were on my boat. I would have had something to say if their negligence cost me another dive. If assistance was needed I would offer it anyway I could but sometimes it is futile. When "experienced" divers choose their fate they can take others with them!
At the end of the day perception is only good if you have all the information. Not everyone chooses to follow safe diving standards but that can be a matter of perspective.
If I knew them I would have to say something but do so in a respectful way then let nature take its coarse. I have had this talk with several before and it has ended well for the most part. We all call our own dive and how to do it. I just hate to watch someone die but the reality is we see it everyday! Diving is not any different than everyday life.
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

Back
Top Bottom