What To Do About Reckless Divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I once had a T-shirt printed with: Make someones day, mind your own business. Maybe I should get that printed on my wetsuit!

I dive with that crowd and those that are much more aggressive than that all the time. Local divers routinley dive to 185ft (Ande wreck) and greater with single cylinder & pony but use scooters to decrease their gas consumption. It can be a head scratcher no doubt but they always make it back safe with lots of fish....

I have come to the conclusion that there is a lot of conservatism built into computers. Case in point, I did a three tanker last week and my dive buddy was one of that crowd and he dives nitrox without computer or rote memory of tables. Diving the exact profiles my Galileo Sol indicated a 7 minutes deco obligation the last dive. He ascended past me while I was at my deco stop pointing to his ample catch and surfaced without so much as a safety stop and was just fine after I surfaced more than 10 minutes later. Go figure!

P.S. That being said above, the hole in the wall dive site is an advanced recreational dive. Nothing more...

Last edited:
I have come to the conclusion that there is a lot of conservatism built into computers. Case in point, I did a three tanker last week and my dive buddy was one of that crowd and he dives nitrox without computer or rote memory of tables. Diving the exact profiles my Galileo Sol indicated a 7 minutes deco obligation the last dive. He ascended past me while I was at my deco stop pointing to his ample catch and surfaced without so much as a safety stop and was just fine after I surfaced more than 10 minutes later. Go figure!

Maybe he'll get bent next time, maybe not. If you did it, you might get bent, or not.

However when given the choice between:

1. A computer that knows where I've been, how long I've been there, how hard I've been working and contains a pretty good decompression algorithm, and
  2. Hoping I won't get bent
I'll go with the #1 every time.

Terry

Maybe he'll get bent next time, maybe not. If you did it, you might get bent, or not.

However when given the choice between:

1. A computer that knows where I've been, how long I've been there, how hard I've been working and contains a pretty good decompression algorithm, and
  2. Hoping I won't get bent
I'll go with the #1 every time.

Terry

Totally agree. Take note of my respect for adherence of diving's best practices and common sence...

let us DIEv in peace! If it is my norm, I don't need someone nagging me.

ROFLMAO at nwgrateful's post of clowns with cactus!

One of the reasons I love diving is that there are no SCUBA Police.
No one ever stopped my dive plans and I don't plan on stopping anyone.

Bob

"the future is uncertain and the end is always near"
Jim Morrison

Had they been Newbies, I would have said "tutor them"...but in the case you describe, I say you do nothing.
Nature (and physics) will eventually take care of them.

I guess I represent a different view, perhaps because I used to dive with our children. I have always beleived that I am clearly responsible for my dive buddy. I believe that I have some responsibility for everyone in the group. If somebody in the group is in trouble as experienced divers I feel we have a responsibility to help. I do not beleive on endangering myself of my buddy. But if another diver need my help I will try and help.

I guess I represent a different view, perhaps because I used to dive with our children. I have always beleived that I am clearly responsible for my dive buddy. I believe that I have some responsibility for everyone in the group. If somebody in the group is in trouble as experienced divers I feel we have a responsibility to help. I do not beleive on endangering myself of my buddy. But if another diver need my help I will try and help.

That's very nice, just keep in mind there is a group of adults out there who don't appreciate being treated like children. Some of them are vocal about it, so just be prepared for a "less than kind" reaction, when you decided to "save" strangers from monsters only visible to you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom