What to do in soup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a deep water canal behind my house that is always "blackwater" but when I wanna get away from the world I just monkey style a 40cf bottle, drop down, shoot a bag, and hang under it for 20-30 minutes at 22ish fsw just hovering and listening to that calming "hiiiisssss.....blub blub blub". The world suddenly seems to make sense again.

Perhaps this type of diving warrants a more technical training module as the basic open water cert classes don't delve into the possibilities and liabilities of this style of diving. I have tons of dives and hours in So Cal and these type of conditions are much less prevalent. Personally I have done well in most all conditions but my personal experience has shown that most don't. Never thought I'd say it but there is obviously a place for DIR.... shudder the thought, LOL

Last weekend I went for a dive nearby and we wound up calling the dive b/c the vis was very bad. What are some things that people who live in areas known for bad vis do when you go out and your dive site is just soup?

Depends what you call bad viz, 1 ft, 5ft, 20 ft? From talking with others, bad viz depends a lot on where you normally dive. A friend told me once when they went diving in Indonesia, they would consider 15-20 ft bad viz and sometimes call a dive. On the other hand here in California, 15-20 ft is actually above average and time to go diving!

Roughly half of my dives have been in 3-5m visibility. So to me poor visibility is less than 1m. As I dive mainly to see things then when the vis is so poor that I know when I have found the wreck when my head hits it it is time to go home.

I sometimes like to dive low vis.

It’s nice to relax and hover while touching forearms with my partner, especially if there is gentle surge rocking us back and fourth in the sand channel, it feels like flying. It's important to hold a trim position with outstretched arms to protect your head from bumping into anything.

Like others have said, low vis is good for practicing skills and becoming aware of subtle buoyancy indicators. I also enjoy watching the tiny particles moving in the water for reference while practicing buoyancy control. If vis is good enough to see your outstretched finger tips, I like to drop down and hover several inches off the bottom and watch the critters emerge out of the mist one at a time much like a night dive.

Often keeping contact with your team together is the most engaging part of these dives, especially in our kelp forests where swimming side by side is often impossible due to dense kelp stalks. Our 21W HID light canisters, good teamwork, communication and dive skills are quite helpful for keeping everyone together.

Once we can no longer read our gauges, it’s time to thumb the dive.

It's common to dive in less than 12 ft visibility here in Mid Cali, but even with 400+ dives we often limit the depths of the very low vis dives (can't see clearly past your finger tips) to 35- 40ft depth - with the poorest vis shallower than 25ft & we stick to beginner dives sites that are very easy to navigate.

I think beginner divers would have a better day if they left their gear in the car and just took a hike ;-).

I was diving on Thursday night and had "soup" conditions. We had one group of three (me and two buddies) and one husband and wife team. We swam out from a local beach and dropped down into 15-18ft of water. The vis was only 1-2ft. The husband and wife team bailed immediately, which was good. There were definitely not up to this dive. My dive buddies and I continued on, although it can be very challenging to keep together in such conditions. We headed to deeper water and found vis of 10-12 ft, which actually made for a great dive. We saw a whole host of bottom dwellers, including a bunch of red octopus, a bat ray (who exploded off into the distance as soon as we blundered over him), giant sand shrimp, thornback rays, bugs, lavender sculpin, etc. My point is that vis is a local condition. It can really vary from place to place. Going to deeper water (in my case "deep" was only 25-30ft) can sometimes open up the vis to an acceptable level.

In general, once I am in the water, I figure that I already have to pay the "scuba tax", which is my name for the time required to clean up the gear. Having committed to the tax, I figure I might as well get the most out the dive. Typically I look for better vis. Sometimes I find it; sometimes not. If I never find good vis, I will do what many others do. I practice hovering or navigation skills. One of my favorites is 'find the rock". You find a rock and then navigate back to it. In low vis, it can be a real challenge. I typically start out small with 10-20ft out-and-backs. If I am feeling cocky, I will try a square or triangle. I also practice macro spotting. Even in low vis, you can find some structure and give it a really good scan. Often you find things that you would otherwise overlook since you are forced to slow down.

I too find low vis dives relaxing, but some people find them claustrophobic. Finally, you need to keep your dive buddy within touching distance and need to keep an eye on your finning technique. The vis is never so low that you can't make it worse! Personally I avoid frog kicking in low vis unless you want to keep kicking your dive buddy. But then again, I never silt up the bottom with a bent knee flutter. I am constantly amazed by the number of people who switch to other kicks because they can't do a decent non-silting flutter.

What to do in soup?

Look for macro. Practice buoyancy, practice drills, practice navigation.

What to do in soup?

Look for macro. Practice buoyancy, practice drills, practice navigation.

What do you know, you like Italian bikes.... LOL Practicing skills is a good thing obviously but the trick is practicing good skills. A poor horse trainer is still a trainer, just crappy skills are being learned by the horse.

Back
Top Bottom