What to do in soup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove just outside of Boston Harbor when the viz was about 1'-2'.

Was it on an outgoing tide? If so I hate to think about what was making the vis so bad ... or did they finally get around to doing something about the "bubblers" ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

My buddy and I have done some diving together in such poor visibility (less than 12 inches) that below 30 feet it's totally dark.

If you don't know the visibility is going to be that bad you usually lose contact with your buddy quite quickly and, following your lost buddy protocols, search for one minute then surface.

When you know that the visibility is going to be that bad, it's best to stay in touch contact right from the start and have strong lights. The leader is off to the left side of the follower and slightly behind. Using his right hand, the leader grasps the upper left arm of the follower and "guides" the follower with push, pull and squeeze signals.

Both divers have their lights in their left hands. The follower uses his right hand to protect his face from impact with unseen objects. The leader uses his light hand to protect his face. You will be moving at an angonizingly slow pace because you don't want to crash into something while fining at a brisk clip.

Prior to such dives you've got to have all of your procedures worked out and understood. Checking your gas without losing your buddy is a challenge. Emergency signals such as thumbing the dive have to be clear. Out-of-gas procedures must be practiced.

Obviously it's best to practice this stuff in an area where the visibility is good so that your teamwork is polished.

I've heard of people tying themselves together, but that sort of thing scares me.

Maybe I'm a wimp, but it takes some degree of fortitude and bravery to push on in those conditions. It is kinda scary.

Was it on an outgoing tide? If so I hate to think about what was making the vis so bad ... or did they finally get around to doing something about the "bubblers" ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

'Twas a long time ago, say mid-90's. Don't remember if it was outgoing or incoming tide. I trusted a friend to take me out in his boat to where the lobsters roamed. Not sure the bubblers were in place then? So yeah, I was wonderin' what I was diving in too, but it was much cleaner then than the couple of decades before. Guess it's all relative. Judging from the look, smell, and taste :tongue2:, I'd say it was boat traffic. Just a stirred up bottom and maybe some "other" mixed in for good measure! ... But the lobster looked like lobster, felt like lobster and tasted like lobster.

Actually, I wouldn't mind going back to see what the difference is from then to now. Walked around Deer Island just a couple of weeks ago and the waste water facility is really unbelieveable. Those egg pod thingys are so huge you really have no sense of scale unless you're there.
FileDeer Island MA.JPG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

April 17th... setting the float for ow class, dark day, but not raining. Can't see the orange line floating in the water that I use on the float. Descend, can't see anything...not even my guage.... I knew based on where I was how deep it should be... dropped the weight, followed the line physically...got to 32', hoping vis improved. Nope, can sort of see my computer with the backlight on infront of my face. Abort dive. Tell my team member and 7 OW divers NO WAY!

It was the worst day I think I've ever had for vis. The dark clouds and huge plankton bloom had zero natural light, and u/w lights were useless.

... but it takes some degree of fortitude and bravery to push on in those conditions. It is kinda scary.

Or you just gotta be some kinda nutcake who loves diving and low viz is just part of the experience... :D

Actually when I went down, I was solo so the buddying responsibility was one less thing to worry about. I was mentally prepared for it to be bad... and it was. Only thing I didn't like was the "reverse" blue water effect... so dense I couldn't focus my eyes and had to look at my hand or gauges to stop from getting dizzy. Once on the bottom, all was right. Glad I was comfortable diving my compass. A light isn't much help down there. Like driving in a blinding snow storm with your high beams...

You can practice, staying relaxed, buoyancy control, and navigation skills.

I ended up doing what was essentially a blackwater dive and just decided to see how deep it was when I hit bottom. I knew it would be less than 150' and I was geared appropriately. Turns out it was only 40'.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom