What to do when shark approach?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wave good bye and hit star on wetsuit "Beam me up captain!"

Seems to me our LDS has a Dive Log book with a cover that shows "The Last Great Act of Defiance" - the diver flipping off the huge shark that's about to swallow him.

If we take that as our cue, when the shark is bearing down on us with a toothy grin, we should give him the finger.

Find a rope and get on the other side? :D

That was in Egypt, and diving a full week with those sharks (Oceanic whitetip, they're supposed to be one of the 'dangerous' species), I've seen a threat display only once. There were strict rules against waiting at the surface (safety stop=>boat directly, one by one if sharks were spotted), snorkeling or throwing anything in the water - but the theory was that underwater divers were safe.

I don't remember that strobe flashes did anything to them, but I remember that one of the photographer in our group had to physically use his strobe to push one of the more curious sharks away :)

Morale of the story is: if you see a shark, you're in luck, and might as well enjoy it!

Last edited:
Sharks are looking for an easy meal. They don't want to work for it. They evaluate things and place them into 4 groups.

1. This something I can eat.

You don't want to be here. They will approach, sometimes circling, sometimes not. They will make contact, sometimes with a bump, sometimes with a bite. They will increase their speed and will often have jerky movements (they are normally very graceful). Sometimes they will arch their backs, lower their pectoral fins and move their jaws, sometimes not. I've been here, it's not fun. We usually put ourselves here because of poor choices. I know I put myself here because of poor choices I made (several of them).

. Poor choices that put you in this category
. Swimming rapidly away (acting like prey)
. Surfacing (acting like you're injured and as easy target)
. Swimming with your hands (acting like you're injured and as easy target)

If you see these behaviors it is your job to convince them you do not fit into the "something I can eat" category.

2. I don't know what this is.

If you're a photographer, this is a great place to be. They will come in close for a better look. I've had this experience. As long as they don't put you in the first group, you're fine. They swim slowly and gracefully, they may circle, they may approach directly or they may start to circle then switch to a direct approach. Being vertical in the water can put you in this category. As they approach be ready to push them away with something, a camera, a spear gun, a stick, hands are a last choice, but better than getting bit. Usually, they will put you in the third category before they make contact. You can also try to make them think you belong in the last category by swimming right at them.

3. This is something I can't eat.

They ignore you. This is where divers are usually found. I've experienced this many times. Watch the shark, it is watching you, but pretent to ignore it.

4. This is something that might eat me.

They quickly leave. Swimming towards them will put you in this group. So will growling or making other loud aggressive sounding noises.

Turning loose speared fish is a bad idea.

I would yell "THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE HIGHLANDER!" and strike it with the broad sword that I always keep clipped to my BCD.

On a serious note though, I did a shark dive in Roatan with Carribean Reef Sharks which was the coolest thing I've done so far as a diver. They were pretty used to people, but there were about 20-25 of them in the 6' to 10' range, and they liked to play chicken with you. They'd swim right at your face and veer off above you only a few feet away. I don't know though, I felt completely at peace in their presence. Nothing about them felt threatening, they were just unbelievably graceful and gave off no feeling of threat.

Now, on the other hand, if I were snorkeling and came across a tiger or bullshark I'd probably freak. I'm way more scared of sharks snorkeling or swimming than I am diving.

Someone that dives often with sharks once told me that if you can usually spook sharks away by going towards them if they look curious. Most food will flee and they will veer off in that case. Never had to try it myself of course.

That brings to mind the cartoon of the two well-fed bears sitting under a tree captioned "Don't you love it when the poor dummies play dead?"

It's as good a ploy as any, but may require more intestinal fortitude than I could muster.

Take its picture.

1) Take reg out of mouth and say 'these are my fish, get your own' :no:

2) Grab dorsal fin and go for a ride :shocked2:

3) Hand stringer of fish to dive buddy and take video :D

Sharks are cool, just don't touch their privates... :eyebrow:

<snicker>

That's what I try to do.

I did see a youtube video of a free diver interacting with some great whites. Each time they came near him, he went into a vertical posture and the sharks just veered off. Maybe I'd try that as well.

That's because your friend then appears larger and not something they want to mess with.

And pray you have your camera with you. :)

Seriously, I've always read it one is seeming aggressive...
Turn loose of the fish you speared;

Sadly they're vanishing so fast I fear not many of us can test these...?​

No you do not just hand them the fish! That is a terrible, terrible, practice. :doh: Have a read of this thread and pay particular attention to the post's made by PatMyGreen: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/deep-dixie-divers/282557-spearfishing-bull-sharks-04-23-09-a.html

I was out on Friday and saw a Reef Shark... Didn't have the camera :sad:​

Last edited:
They seem to hate it when I exhale. :eek:

tic-tac-tictac-mint-a-rod-steriods-alex-rodriguez.jpg

It wouldn't matter if I was underwater they'd hear me screaming in Kansas.

Some good things to do, many already posted...

- Be sure you can swim faster than your buddy
- Memorize a prayer
- If you are diving dry you're gonna need another undergarnment

But now seriously... something I learned (but never tested... )

- don't swim up, sharks are more likely to attack near the surface
- don't make "panick like" movements, like swiming to quickly or moving your hands
- if he gets too close, hitting the nose might help
- go vertical, you appear bigger for him, he may try something smaller

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom