What to do when shark approach?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've mentioned before that, many years ago, the Cousteau divers would go back-to-back when sharks got too interested in them. They would have a pole with a very short spike on the end, which could be used to push away any shark that got too close (the spike was just long enough to keep the pole from slipping off), and with your buddy at your back, your blind-side was covered.

Reading through this thread, a back-to-back position would accomplish one other thing: it would make two divers pretty much appear to be one larger creature.

Sharks scare me. I hope to god I never see the OP's shark picture in person, and if I did, I have no idea what I would do. Pray for good reactions. And for all the people with the "sharks are beuatiful, be happy you saw it, you've been blessed", yeah I see that, same goes for lions, tigers, and bears (oh my). But one should never forget that they can completely mangle you at will.

Edit: the OP shark picture - mouth open slightly, tail curved (somewhat), but no body arch - is that the beginning of a threat display, or a mild threat display?

Last edited:
Maybe the shark will like minty fresh breath :rofl3:

tic-tac-tictac-mint-a-rod-steriods-alex-rodriguez.jpg

Reading through this thread, a back-to-back position would accomplish one other thing: it would make two divers pretty much appear to be one larger creature.

It would also put them in the vertical position, which several others have said is an effective deterrent.

Edit: the OP shark picture - mouth open slightly, tail curved (somewhat), but no body arch - is that the beginning of a threat display, or a mild threat display?

The tail is probably likely curved from swimming motion. I like seeing sharks on dives, but I think that particular view might be a bit closer than I'd be entirely comfortable with. Head on is definitely more intimidating.

My dive buddie is a lawyer, I would get behind him and watch as he and the shark shared a couple of nice cubans and a couple of pints, chatting about and laughing about what a great country this is.

So I have watched a lot of professional wrestling over the years so here is what I'd do.

I'd do whatever I could to make him very angry because when he gets angry, he won't think clearly and let his guard down. Then I swim away from him really quickly and when he rushed after me, I dodge him and then as he passes I grab him around the head, ride him, and put the good old "Johnny Weaver Sleeper" on him. By the time we have settled to the bottom, the shark is out and my dive buddy puts the three count on him.

It really is as simple as that. :eyebrow:

As long as I keep him on my side of the ring me and my buddy would just double team his ass. And when correctly applied, no one, and I mean no one comes back from the sleeper or originally known as the "Weaverlock". :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom