What to do with a non-diving spouse?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My husband is definitely a non-diver! I tend to plan day trips when he's busy with work so it doesn't conflict. When we go on vacation, we go to places which allows him to hang out by the pool and swim-up bar while I dive. Then we meet up inbetween dives. We just did this in Jamaica this summer. The good thing (for him) was they were only 1-tank dives, 2x/day. So I'd be gone for just over an hour each time and then spent the rest of the day with him...it worked for the both of us.

I get up early and do the early morning dive boat, usually leaves around 9:00. My wife likes sleeping in until 10:00 on vacations, eats her breakfast and reads the newspaper on the motel patio, and gets cleaned up. I'm usually back around noon or one and we lunch together. Then, we have the rest of the day together.

Tried the afternoon dive once, but it took up too much of the day and she was by herself on vacation too long.

Hope that helps.

Marshallkarp, My wife does exactly the same thing. She loves to sleep in until 9 am while I do my 2-tank AM dives starting at 7am or 8am. By the time I return at around 11 am, she's sitting on the beach reading a book. I rinse my gear and take a quick shower then meet her back at the beach for a 12:30 pm lunch. Then we go off doing top side stuff in the afternoon.

I do enjoy diving and I wish my wife is my dive buddy but she does not swim nor does she know how to float. So, I get lonely a lot of times. Going solo diving most of the time costs more so I have not tried solo diving yet. I'd love to if it is at all possible to rendesvous with another diver in a similar situation. Trip buddies are hard to find but certainly not impossible.

So going back to the original post, take your non-diving wife with you to a Live Aboard trip if she won't get seasick and loves being out at sea with a good book (or flirting with the crew :D). If not, then she'll be bored to death and be sick. Better just to travel solo when doing a live aboard trip.

well, what does she do?

Some people don't do anything, so they might as well be bored with you. I had one like that once and I did not feel guilty because it's not like he was begging to do anything else.

If she wants to do something, then alternate if you must. Ultimately, I never feel it is my job to entertain somebody, that is just too much responsibilty. I can usually always find something to do (unless it is on a golf course), that is deal breaker for me.

my boyfriend is a diver (first time that i dated one) and the holiday(s) we had so far involved waking up at 5AM to start our dives. lol. veeeerrryyyy tiring.

oppps, i though this is the whine and cheeze forum.

seriously, go to destinations where she can also do stuff on her own while you do your thing. seven days in a liveaboard might not be a good idea for her. come to tropical PI, there are lots of awesome diving destinations here with lots of things to do for non-divers. and if her idea of a relaxing holiday is lazing under the sun reading a book in a hammock, then she can do that here while you dive and she wouldn't even notice the time!

Even though my wife doesn't dive, she loves to travel and is satisfied exploring the sites while I'm diving. She'll even use the opportunity for me to go diving as a way to lure me on a trip somewhere. All in all, it's not a bad deal.

I limit my dive locations to areas that have all inclusive resorts. I know that when I am diving that my wife can enjoy the sun and the service. This has worked out pretty well so far.

So what do you guys do? There is NO way my wife will learn to dive, she doesnt really swim and freaks out when water gets on her face.

So in planning trips, do you try to find things for them to do?

I am guess they are a no-go on live aboards?

Any suggestions?

Be grateful. :D:D:D
Your diving will change if she ever takes it up.

Do as I do - go on dive vacations on your own and send her to visit her mother! It works ... trust me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom