What to do with an old IDI regulator? Service?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nswelton

New
Reaction score
hi -- i am going to bonaire for a few weeks of diving and i haven't been diving in a while. i have an 8 year old idi regulator that has about 200 dives on it that's never been serviced and has been sitting in a closet for about 5 years. i'd like to get it checked out before the trip but i don't know what to do since idi is out of business. am i screwed? is it diveable if it works? i don't really want to spend the money on a new reg, but if this is unservicable and unsafe i guess i have to.

I dragged up this page via Google:

IDI Scuba Diving Gear & Equipment Service Repair Information at Scuba.com

International Divers Inc. (IDI) ceased operations in 2003. Although most IDI equipment can still be serviced/repaired through their former service network.

For fastest service please visit to your local IDI authorized retailer/service center. They are in the best position to service your needs.

If you purchased your IDI equipment through us 100% of your warranty is still intact as long as you have your original receipt and proof that you have maintained your normal annual service schedule.

If you do not have an authorized retailer/service center close by or you purchased the equipment from us and your equipment is covered by the warranty. You can send the equipment to us for service. We were an authorized retailer/service center and all service/repairs and will be serviced by factory trained technicians – to factory specifications and are tested like new.

Please be sure to fill out our Service/Repair Form

Remember to always return any equipment insured and to include your name, daytime telephone number, e-mail address, return shipping address, proof of warranty if the product is covered and a short description of the necessary repairs needed.

If you have any questions you can contact us at 949-221-9300 or email us at repair@scuba.com

IIRC at least one of the IDI regulators got such bad reviews in Europe that they were advising people in diving magazines not to dive with them! I don't remember the specifics except that it had something to do with the regulator being so bad that it didn't even pass the CE work-of-breathing tests.

[edit: now that I think about that for a second, it might have been a regulator from IST and not IDI that I read about.... I'm really not sure.... maybe someone else would like to pick up on that point]

I don't know if it was a particular model or what but I guess if you've used this reg for 200 dives and it works then .....

Personally, if it were me I would sell it on the internet as an "argon" reg while it's still winter and buy a new one, assuming it's feasible money wise.

R..

this is the tri metal reg with the seaira second state and a spirit octo. it had awesome reviews from the magazines and made one list of the best regulators ever made! it's a nice reg and it looks operable. just not sure how to proceed with this trip. i think it's the same reg as the xs scuba seair tri metal, but i can't tell...

Oh yeah. I remember now. The Seaira got really good reviews at the time. I think, in fact, that it *was* one of the IST regs that I was thinking about.

Are you somewhere near a shop that used to be an IDI dealer? it sounds like you might still be able to get it serviced.

R..

I've been using an IDI Seaira TriMetal for years now -- yes, it is the same as the XS Scuba reg of the same name, and XS dealers service them without any problem. I love mine!

Back
Top Bottom