What to do with shark teeth?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

3ddiver

Contributor
Reaction score
We are going to Venice Fl in November looking for sharks teeth. I was wondering what you need to do to them after finding them (I am not talking about brushing them). Do you have to wash them with something other than fresh water? How do you get them to shine like the ones in the pictures? Any advice on this and finding them would be appreaciated. Thanks and if you are lucky we will leave some for everyone else.:D

I soak mine in 50-50 vinegar (white) and water until they're clean, a few minutes to an hour or so. I don't put anything on them as I prefer the natural look.

Post when you're coming, there's lots of us that dive there frequently.

Here's a post I wrote for finding teeth: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=126440

Usually, rubbing them with your thumb is all they need. If you have a particularly nice tooth with some barnacles attached, soak them in white vinegar. I never go more than an hour, and try to keep the exposure even less. Immediately upon taking them out of the vinegar, I rinse them with fresh water, then I soak them in fresh water over night. Very few of the teeth I find get that treatment, most are put on display exactly as found - nice and shiny.

Have some dentures made from them, put them in and go to a "Goth" party!!!

You'll be the belle of the ball !!!

the K

If you're buddys with your dentist, they can bleach them.

One of the crew on the boat I took out of Morehead City this summer is a dentist. He took my shark's teeth, drilled them and glued a piece of thin wire loop into them for a necklace pendant.

ReefGuy, I read your post a while back and it is very informative. Thanks for the info. We will be there Nov 26 doing a dive with Florida West and then all the next week shore diving.

I soak them in white vinegar for a while. This will also work on the whale and manatee bones you will also find. Have a great dive. While you are there you might want to check out Florida West Scuba. Steve runs a great trip diving for the teeth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom