What To Do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Darn,I just went to your profile,and thought you where the right one(don't know why)
Then I read the rest,so you're the left one.:lotsalove:

Still IF you want to go the professional way,please take the hard way.I have made the same misstake,just take the easy way,and found my self at the IDC.
IMO you should take your training as much as you can localy,and be prepaired for what you will encounter in the future.

Be safe and have fun.

:lotsalove::lotsalove:

Darn,I just went to your profile,and thought you where the right one(don't know why)
Then I read the rest,so you're the left one.:lotsalove:

Still IF you want to go the professional way,please take the hard way.I have made the same misstake,just take the easy way,and found my self at the IDC.
IMO you should take your training as much as you can localy,and be prepaired for what you will encounter in the future.

Be safe and have fun.

:lotsalove::lotsalove:

Thanks a bunch 300. Looks like I'll be taking it in NE :wink:.

Im 13 and been out of the country diving (I've got over 100 dives under my belt. I'm a great diver) but I've got say FL im my favorite place to dive.

Although I do understand your feeling,I do NOT agree.
When a diver can dive in the most difficult situations you can think about,he/she can dive almost anywhere.When thought in clearwater only, I don't want to see you in our waters.

Sorry.:D

Boston Harbor must have been a challenge. I grew up in NE and can't imagine that as a location I would EVER want to dive, so you already get bonus points :D

When people think of FL diving, they often think crystal clear water, unlimited viz, etc. In reality, although you'll find that to be the case most of the time on the East coast and in the Keys, the Gulf coast is not always as friendly. You could come to Naples and, although the water would be warm, you might have a day with not so good viz, all the way down to crappy viz.

Now if you were to go to the East coast or the Keys, that would be a different story.

I have to agree with others on this one. Train in the location where you will be doing the majority of your diving, your home turf.

Have fun with it, no matter where you take it!!

And now you make me curious,what's your local "bad'viz.:confused:

Boston Harbor must have been a challenge. I grew up in NE and can't imagine that as a location I would EVER want to dive, so you already get bonus points :D

When people think of FL diving, they often think crystal clear water, unlimited viz, etc. In reality, although you'll find that to be the case most of the time on the East coast and in the Keys, the Gulf coast is not always as friendly. You could come to Naples and, although the water would be warm, you might have a day with not so good viz, all the way down to crappy viz.

Now if you were to go to the East coast or the Keys, that would be a different story.

I have to agree with others on this one. Train in the location where you will be doing the majority of your diving, your home turf.

Have fun with it, no matter where you take it!!

And now you make me curious,what's your local "bad'viz.:confused:

Viz in the Gulf can be as low as 5-10 ft, depending on the site and the tides and the current, etc. And let me clarify, that is the Gulf off the west coast of FL. The Gulf is a big body of water, so there is plenty of good viz to be had as well, but off the West coast it's not the diving mecca like the East coast or the Keys.

Learn in the place you will be diving most often. Id recommend cold/murky over warm and sunny. Harder training but you'll emerge with more skills and confidence. Then going to warm clear places will seem easy.

Viz in the Gulf can be as low as 5-10 ft, depending on the site and the tides and the current, etc.

Yep that's not that good.:D
But please do come to this side of the ocean,in high summer.:14:
We sometimes have a nice viz. of 30-50(cm)1-1.5 ft.:rofl3:
And we still have fun.:rofl4:

There is a funny thing about low viz.It's all depending on what you're used to.
We once did a dive in the RedSea during a sandstorm.We had 10-20ft of viz.
All Dutch divers said we had GOOD viz.But all locals said it was the worst they've ever seen.
So it's all in the eye of the beholder.:D
Your bad viz. can be my good viz.
BTW our REALY GOOD viz. is 100ft+ but that will be in mid winter.

This should be a no brainer, learn to dive in the tougher of the two places, low vis, cold water would be my choice for the course. It will make you a better diver & appreciate the course. Swimming a 30m square in water where the vis is 20m+ is far to easy.
try it with 5m Vis in cold water & then you start to really focus on the task at hand & learn to read / trust your instruments. Great achievement if you can get back to your starting point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom