What to layer UNDER Bare CT-200 undergarments?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Will be doing my first open-water drysuit dives with my HD-Tech Trilam suit with CT-200 undergarments.

Water temp will be approx 45f. My instructor says he'd wear "two sets of long johns" under the Bare undergarments, but of what type?

Particularly want to make sure to wick perspiration away from skin.

REI has these from Patagonia:

619993_321Prd.JPG

Described as such:

Patagonia Midweight Capilene Tops/Bottoms

• An ideal first layer for alpine skiing, snowboarding and other stop-and-go activities in cold weather
  • High-performance base layer features enhanced moisture-wicking ability to keep you drier.
  • Double jersey knit construction with open mesh on the inside pulls moisture out into the densely knit outer layer for quick evaporation
  • Inner face is lightly brushed for softness and insulation
  • Moisture-wicking Capilene® finish is bonded to each fiber, so it won't wash out or wear off
  • Easy to care for polyester--just machine wash and dry

Thoughts or other recommendations?

I have this underwear and just wear inexpensive fleece under it if anything at all.

I would dive the undergarment alone. I don't need more than a 200 gr thinsulate or fleece undergarment in temps as low as 36F and I dive a shell suit. However, I'm not you and so the question is how does your body handle cold? Do you get cold easy? If so then I'd get another undergarment like the CD one, great prices and good suits to boot, then use it under your CT-200.

At any rate, I like some sort of very thin material like polypropylene under my undergarments to soak up the sweat and reduce the washing needed for the thinsulate. For fleece I'll dive the 200 gr by itself.

For the first dive I'd try some fleece under it using just one layer, if you get cold add another.

Patagonia Capilene is the best, no doubt. But, as they said, try it without first, because you probably won't need it and it's not cheap stuff. REI has good polypro garments for less money, and EMS has their own line as well, but I still consider Capilene to be the best in class.

RJP 3, I am trying to buy a Bare HD Tech Trilam. I have no stores near me to see the options Bare offers, how did you decide on the set-up you have? Since you are new to the Dry Suit were you given any advice on the suit? What boot set up did you go with. soft sock or molded boot, what seals did you choose, latex or neoprene? Did you have to special order? I live in CT is there a store near you that stocks all the options and where are you diving? Is there a store or site you prefer?

At 45 degrees I froze my butt off using the bare ct200 and ploypro under it using a trilam. I add a nice expodition weight polypro garment AND a thin layer of fleece top and bottoms (like 100 or 200g) but this undergarment discussion is really a personal thing and the answer can ONLY be determined by you. This one is strictly trial and error so I don't suggest spending a ton at first if it can be avoided, BUT more is better than less at first. Better to be warm than cold. Have fun!

RJP3:
Water temp will be approx 45f. My instructor says he'd wear "two sets of long johns" under the Bare undergarments, but of what type?....
REI has these from Patagonia...

The Patagonia really is the best brand but REI has their own brand that is almost the same and the mid weight is good but do not wear two of them. This material is the best stuff to place next to your skin but was little insulating value if used as a mid layer. The second layer would do very little for you. I'd buy a fleece jacket or a fleece vest. I'd doubt you would need a full fleese suit under you 200 gram thinsillite in 46F water

There is a local diver here who uses a 3mm wetsuit under a DUI drysuit. Seems silly at first but the theory is that if the drisuit floods and you are down at 100 feet and 300 yards from shore you will not get hypothermia. I spent 20 minutes in a flodded drysuit once, man was it cold and the water was only 53F. a 3mm shorty is unconventional but is good insurance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom