What to look for in a flash light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have one of these I got cheap - League | Princeton Tec

Just a basic underwater flashlight. Uses 4xAA battery and great for looking in crevices for Octopus etc. I have used it on night dives, but it does not turn night into day. I get about 8 hours before I feel new batteries make enough brightness difference to change them.

You should consider:

- beam angle

- beam brightness and LED emitter

- on/off mechanism

- whether it has multiple brightness settings

- what type of battery it uses, how many, how they fit in the light, and whether you can change the battery yourself

- whether it has adjustable focus (i.e. beam angle can be changed from narrow to wide)

@stuartv brings up many good points...for daytime diving, I like something that is more focused instead of a wide beam angle. Otherwise, the light tends to wash out, especially if you want to peek in crevices and cracks. I have and use a Big Blue 12200 lumen that I'm really happy with. I use it as my backup light at night. Bigblue Dive Lights.

It has multiple brightness settings - burn times are as follows on a rechargeable battery that is user replaceable and charger that they include: (2 hrs (level IV), 5 hrs(level III) 10 hrs(level II) 20 hrs (level I). I'm not a fan of the Light and Motion Solas because they are not user replaceable, unless they have designed new ones. On/off is a button that is easily turned on with a large glove - a button. You can cycle through all the different brightnesses until you get the one you want. Built into the ring around the button is an indicator on how much battery you have left. I don't like the twist on and offs - it's cumbersome with cold water gloves and I always worry about accidentally twisting the wrong way or too much for a flood.

I hope this helps!

Sola Dive 1200 S/F

There is also a 2500......
Excellent light. Great battery life. Light weight - easy to operate and handle.

Not the cheapest, but very solid performance.

I've got 2 of these and have been using them for the past 5 years. 4 - AA batteries, 50 hour burn time, nice focused LED beam. Perfect for night diving and peering into holes during the day. Never had a leak and I've routinely been below 100' with them. Last pocket light you'll ever need to buy unless you're intent on torching up the bottom like a Broadway Stage.

Comes with a lanyard and costs $25.

Impact XL | Princeton Tec

Yep, the SOLA 1200 S/F is an amazing light. It gives a nice spot and flood option. It has a completely sealed rechargeable batter so no worries on o-ring leaks. You can turn it on with one hand and easily switch between spot and flood and low, medium and high with one hand. As such, the ergonomics are second to none. With that said, the $50 lights from DGX or Xtar are a tad brighter (only giving spot mode) and way less money.

A cheap one from eBay. Too many to list but all I've used seem to work fine. My personal favourite is old faithful a £3 plastic number in fetching yellow that has now completed 12 dives and is still on the original batteries put in two years ago. I carry three torches all under £30. If you get a inexpensive torch you won't be gutted if you lose it and would be less inclined to go after it if you did. The most expensive torche I have cost £28 and is a monster 18000 lumens and works very well. Good luck with whatever you purchase.

For me battery life is important, i do a lot of lake diving and don't need huge lumen. I had a Princeton tech sector 5, over 20 hours on the 4 c cells, which is awesome and does the job I need. I have 3 other with higher lumen but the back scatter drives me crazy. If anybody finds it on cypress creek wall in lake Travis(80ish ft near an old antenna structure, huge stump, and boat anchor), would appreciate a return.

Back
Top Bottom