What to people think of the Galapagos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We did the Lammer law in May. great boatg and crew (large trimaran, so very stable on the surface). Good food, very roomy. Only mistake we made was not going up to Wolf and Darwin (where all the big pelagics school); this was a concession to the 2/3 of our group that did not dive and wanted lots on land time to see the boobies, albatrosses, giant tortoise, etc.

HIGHLY recommend the Galapagos. Sea lions will follow you on EVERY dive and swim right up to you. You should see plenty of sharks (white tips, hammers and a cousin of the Great White, the colossal Galapagos Shark), schooling spotted eagle rays, red-lipped batfish, Port Jackson Sharks, Tiger Snake Eels, King Angels, Moorish Idols, schooling Barracudas, Slipper Lobsters, and just masses of fish and other creatures.

Tips:

1. Bring a 5mm wetsuit. They will recommend 7mm, but I thought that was too much. The water is cold, though, and you will need at least 5mm most dives.

2. Fly into Guyaquil, not Quito. Quito is at 10,000 feet; Guyaquil is on the coast, so no problems with altitude. The flight to Baltra (about 2 hours) starts in Quito and stops first in Guyaquil at about 11, so you can snooze another 2 hours.

3. Be sure to get to Wolf and Darwin (the north islands). This is allegedly (I missed it, but will be back) some of the most fascinating diving in the world. Our dive guides just raved about it.

Have fun!

Just got back from the Galapagos and it was AWESOME did the norht islands wolf darwin tons of Hammerheads some VERY close encounters with Galapagos sharks and 28 Whale sharks several on most dives also dolphins Mobula rays Silky sharks, tons of turtles, i particulary enjoyed diving and snorkeling with the sea lions and Penguins

As every muslim is required to visit Mecca during there lifetime I beleive every diver should visit the Galapagos its an absolute FANTASTIC experience

I am lucky enough to be heading there again in 2004 to lead a group of previous visitors to my bresort here in belize and I can't wait to get back there.

Gaz Cooper

I have been on several live aboards in the Galoping Pogos and I finally wound up diving with Mathias Espinosa of Scuba Iguana- now heading for our fifth trip with him!

Mathias was the featured guy in the IMAX 3d Movie about Galapagos. For my money, staying at the Hotel Galapagos and diving with him was the best of all worlds. We saw everything that people go to the Galapagos to see (including extensive visits underwater with Marine Iguanas), plus we had warm dry beds that didn't move at night! Mathias is a treasure- he has played guitar with the members of Buena Vista Social Club of Havana.

The added benefit of having so many restaurants to pick from merely made the experience much more fun.

It was one hell of a lot cheaper than a live aboard as well. Having done so many of them, I'll pick Scuba Iguana. the lava tubes crawl thru with Oswaldo is not to be missed.

see http://www.geocities.com/johnofrancis/galapagos.htm

RoatanMan

In February 2001, I was on one of those fly by night boats (the Pelikano) that offered diving on our southern itinerary cruise. Right after the oil spill. Our Naturalist guide was also our divemaster. We paid somewhere around $850 US for a 7 night cruise and 7 dives. One dive each morning and an additional one some where in between. Safety talks and general overall impression was sketchy at best. Luckily a Scubapro rep/ PADI Instructor from South Africa was also on our boat. The land tours were so-so. I could have learned a lot more.

I saw a few hammerheads, no whale sharks.

It was the best that my travel mates could afford so I had to compromise with them. Given the chance to go back I would definitely go first class and take the Agressors or the Trimerans.

Good Luck and I did swim with penguins!

The Agressor can't be beat. Wolf and Darwin is certasinly advanced diving but should be on every diver's list to experience during their lifetime. Be careful, not every liveaboard goes up there. Those 2 islands are the reason to go. Indescribeable.

Dave

beepbird once bubbled...
In February 2001, I was on one of those fly by night boats (the Pelikano) that offered diving on our southern itinerary cruise. Right after the oil spill. (SNIP)
I saw a few hammerheads, no whale sharks. (SNIP)

If your goal is to see whale sharks, then your timing is as important as youor choice of boats...February is definitely
not the best time for whale shark sightings in Galapagos.
We went at the end of May/beginning of June. At that point,
the divemaster indicated that no whale sharks had been seen
for four months. We got lucky, however, and saw one or two
on around half of our Darwin dives... July and August appear to be the peak times...

Seth

Kaos once bubbled...
A guy from San Fran just returned, and has an excellent report on his trek:

http://www.echeng.com/travel/ecuador/

This is an excellent trip report, and his itinerary is nearly identical to the one I used last year: doing a week on a "normal" boat before the scuba liveaboard is IMO necessary (as well as a fiscally prudent way to amortize your cost of getting there across more days) because there's so much stuff topside that you miss because the Scuba liveaboards only have a couple of token land tours before they head out to Wolf/Darwin.

For land stuff, you can pretty much rely on seeing 80-90% of what you see above. For UW, things are a bit more hit-or-miss, and there are seasonal variations. My trip was over Thanksgiving, which is generally considered to be "after" the normal Whaleshark season.

-hh

Sue once bubbled...
I'm going to Galapagos next November.

What water temp. should I expect?

Thanks in advance

Sue

Will you be there November 2003 or 2004? Not that it makes a difference in water temp :D We'll be on the Sky Dancer from Nov 9-19th. 13 days and counting!!

Steve

Steve

Same dates but on the Nemo. wave if you see us!

12 days and counting

Sue

Sue once bubbled...
Steve

Same dates but on the Nemo. wave if you see us!

12 days and counting

Sue

We're sure looking forward to it. Will you be in Quito for any time before or after? We'll be at the Hotel Colon on the 7th and 8th and then again on the night of the 19th. Maybe we can cross paths.

Found a nice little Relais and Chateau property in Otavalo for a couple of days afterwards and then heading back to the hills.

Look for us....we'll be the ones trying to make 500 lbs. of camera gear look small enough for carry on! :D

Steve

Back
Top Bottom