What to use to patch a hole in the bladder?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Warren_L

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I have an oxycheq signature series 45# singles wing I picked up a couple of years ago. I really only use this on a few dive trips a year when I go down south for some easy warm water single tank diving. I just got back from San Andres last week and was giving my gear a good soak to get rid of the salt when I noticed a hissing sound coming from my wing. I took off the exterior cover and noticed a pinhole in the wing (I can only guess the material got pinched between something).

Anyhow, I was wondering what would be appropriate to use to patch the pinhole. I don't know if the bladder material is the same as from other manufacturers of wings. I emailed oxycheq a couple of days ago, but no response yet.

OMS makes a bladder repair kit: http://www.omsdive.com/bcaccess.html
bcpatch.jpg

I would also take to a local shop that has repair contracts just to be certain its properly sealed.

Cheers.

A dab of aquaseal will do the trick on a single pin hole. There is no need for a big patch if it is just a pin hole. I have two single layer bladder (no cover) wings that both have aquaseal "patches" that have held for many dives - one of them probably has 70 post-patch dives on it. I bet the aquaseal is tougher than material around it, but if it fails, well, you have a pin hole again - no big deal, just another dab of aquaseal when your wing is dry again. I did have another wing that got multiple pinholes in a small area - that one I used aquaseal and some tent patching that I bought at REI - that one has also held up very well.

Jackie

Even better (and a lot cheaper) ... water bed repair kit. About $3 from the water bed store.

I'm sure the above advice will serve you well. I'm just shocked to hear of a signature series bladder with a puncture in it! Those things are heavy-duty.

-Ben

airsix:
I'm sure the above advice will serve you well. I'm just shocked to hear of a signature series bladder with a puncture in it! Those things are heavy-duty.

-Ben

I'm not sure how it got there, but when I travel to warm destinations, it's the only wing that travels with me since much of the diving for me is singles diving. At home, it doesn't get used. So, I suspect it was probably pinched somehow during travel in my luggage.

Oh, I just got a message back from Oxycheq on this. They suggest using some aquaseal, or alternatively a urethane patch.

Thanks for all the suggestions - I'll give the aquaseal a try first.

Warren_L:
I'm not sure how it got there, but when I travel to warm destinations, it's the only wing that travels with me since much of the diving for me is singles diving. At home, it doesn't get used. So, I suspect it was probably pinched somehow during travel in my luggage.
I with you there! Well at least it wans't a manta ray (just kidding)

I use the adhesive-backed patch kits for bicycle tires. They are compact, you can stuff them in your dive bag, and you can patch a wing in no time at all.

Back
Top Bottom