What To Wear For The Young Female Traveller in Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sirenita

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I noticed a thread earlier along the same lines, but most of the responses seemed geared towards the male of the species, "ie, suggestions of long trousers and shirts" for evening wear. Question is, what do you wear if you're a twenty-something female like me! I will be staying in one location, as opposed to back-packing, so I'm not limited to a 5 item wardrobe. I want to respect the Thai culture but I also want to be me ...any suggestions on what I should or shouldn't wear while out in Pattaya? I'm starting to pack in a few days, so any advice would be much appreciated!

Pattaya is a tourist area to the extreme.
Wear what you want, IMO, it will be hot there and likely sticky (humid).

You should have no problem buying appropriate clothes there for ~ $5 a piece, don't worry so much about packing for your trip.

Thas in general think all westerners are crazy, just avoid going into a rage and you'll be ok.

If you plan to do any sightseeing, bring some enclosed shoes (as opposed to flip-flops or sandals) and a top with sleeves (as opposed to a tank top or spaghetti straps).

MoonWrasse:
Pattaya is a tourist area to the extreme.
Wear what you want, IMO, it will be hot there and likely sticky (humid).

You should have no problem buying appropriate clothes there for ~ $5 a piece, don't worry so much about packing for your trip.

Thas in general think all westerners are crazy, just avoid going into a rage and you'll be ok.

Yes, i am hearing all kind of crazy stories about the sex industry there... however I am firmly there for the diving training so i guess I shouldnt worry too much about clothes when I'm just going to be living in a wetsuit! Thanks for the advice though :p
(Do I look like the raging type?! :devil_2:

Its a fine line really. Dress too casual and you could end up being cat-called on the streets by those drunken sailors. And there is nothing in Pattaya to dress up for either.

The weather now is too hot. Natural fabrics, loose clothing, sunscreen and a nice straw hat. Topless is best left to your private balcony. The dive sites aren't too far away from Pattaya by boat. Just don't wear your wetsuit all the time, you may get heat stroke.

...unless, of course, you are Thai and it offends you.

From what I've learned before going, bare shoulders are some what of a faux pas in Thai Culture (for women). Definitely cover your shoulders if you head for a temple or other significant revered site. Just see what the Thai girls are wearing when you get there (not the ones in the short, gold sequined dresses or skimpy pink slips).

Back
Top Bottom