What To Wear For The Young Female Traveller in Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll tell you wat's wat. It's a temple...as in Angkor ...what?

In Thai, as in Cambodian, a wat is any Buddhist temple.

Ah, I'm such a Thailand virgin, can you tell! :)

Strictly from a comfort point of view, I find that bare skin is nowhere near as comfortable as light colored lightweight cloth that provides shade from the tropical sun. Loose-fitting cotton is a better, cooler sun-block than anything in a bottle. My typical tropical outfit is long sleeve, loose-fitting white or pastel shirt and long white loose trousers. The Lovely Young Kat prefers a fairly long skirt that shades her ankles. And don't forget the broad-brimmed hat :)
I haven't been to Pattaya since '85, but back then it was poor taste to display your feet unless dressed for swimming, so shoes with closed toes are the ticket. The big hotels were just getting started then so things may have changed.
Thailand is a wonderful place to "go native." Lovely, gracious people.
Have fun.
Rick

Yes Rick, thngs have changed.
Thailand is a country on steroids - thngs change at a much more rapid rate, especially in the resort/Bangkok area than in the west.

One warning - be sure to use suncreen/lip screen, and drink plenty of water, as the sun is intense there.

One thing to note: the sex industry is not representative of the Thai culture -- they're very modest. In Lonely Planet, they told the story of some people being arrested and thrown in jail for going nude on an otherwise empty beach (some police just happened along at the wrong moment).

Wear whatever you feel comfortable in. If people with major hangups are offended by the human body, then they have issues, not you.

CCRDiverDave:
Wear whatever you feel comfortable in. If people with major hangups are offended by the human body, then they have issues, not you.

Yeah, screw local sensitivities; Western cultural norm is obviously superior to the indigenous ways of the natives, many of whom probably have "major hangups" and "are offended by the human body."

Btw, I think Al (post #29) has the right idea...

Sirenita:
I noticed a thread earlier along the same lines, but most of the responses seemed geared towards the male of the species, "ie, suggestions of long trousers and shirts" for evening wear. Question is, what do you wear if you're a twenty-something female like me! I will be staying in one location, as opposed to back-packing, so I'm not limited to a 5 item wardrobe. I want to respect the Thai culture but I also want to be me ...any suggestions on what I should or shouldn't wear while out in Pattaya? I'm starting to pack in a few days, so any advice would be much appreciated!
Personally I think you should wear this outfit every day, weather permiting of course. No one is going to complain, I promise you that.

image.php

I have traveled all over the world. It is essential to respect the culture of another. Remember you are a guest. There is a difference between a tourist and a visitor.

Hey all, this is off subject but how are the tattoo shops over there? any reccomendations? I will be in Phuket, Bankok, Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai.
I also want to experience a Thai massage and boxing....Will probably go to the dentist there also??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom