What To Wear For The Young Female Traveller in Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Traminer:
Oooo.. the gorgeous Parinya. She is a very good example of how Thai culture can be so fluid and complex. Her conservative parents preferred that she remained a guy and yet accepted her decision and supported her gender reassignment. She is now an accomplished woman and cameoed in the film "Beautiful Boxer" that describes her life.

Guess this is why we are having so many problems trying to advise on what to wear in this wonderful country. On one hand, foreigners are made to put on those stinky and unflattering black track pants upon entering the Grand Palace in Bangkok. And just a few blocks away, girls in bikini straps are prancing down Khao San in wild abandon. And we're loving every minute.. :D

I completely agree. I think the bottom line is this: just use your good judgement and common sense when deciding what to wear, where.

CCRDiverDave:
Wear whatever you feel comfortable in. If people with major hangups are offended by the human body, then they have issues, not you.
Well this quote goes down in the history books as one of the dumbest and more obnoxious things I have ever heard. Sorry but I can't be as polite as Vie.

To the person that asked the original question - please ignore that advice. You will win friends and respect if you dress comfortably and relatively modestly. Use common sense rather than just following what the goof-ball tourist with the new passport next to you is doing.

CCRDiverDave:
Wear whatever you feel comfortable in. If people with major hangups are offended by the human body, then they have issues, not you.

:frown11:

Sirenita,

A sensible and sensitive post such as yours deserves a better reply than this brash, macho drivel.

Best advice I could give has already been provided by Rick and Quero.

Thais are among the nicest people I've met, but if you're away from the real tourist strip (read the girlie bars), they are often quite conservative - to you and me, anyway - regarding bare skin.

How long are you staying? I'm there myself in late-April.

thepurplehammerhead:
:frown11:

Sirenita,

A sensible and sensitive post such as yours deserves a better reply than this brash, macho drivel.

Best advice I could give has already been provided by Rick and Quero.

Thais are among the nicest people I've met, but if you're away from the real tourist strip (read the girlie bars), they are often quite conservative - to you and me, anyway - regarding bare skin.

How long are you staying? I'm there myself in late-April.

I'll be there for as long as 6 months! I'm staying out of Pattaya, to the south in a place called Jomtien Beach, where the dive IDC is located. (Mermaids)

Sirenita:
I'll be there for as long as 6 months! I'm staying out of Pattaya, to the south ina place called Jomtien Beach, where the dive IDC is located. (Mermaids)
6 months in Pattaya! Bleech!
Hopefully you'll have the chance to dive in other parts of Thailand.

Ok, on a serious side, you may want to pack a few swimsuits. You can also buy these in Thailand, I bought some Speedo like trunks for about $6 a couple of weeks ago there, however they are made of "Lygra", not "Lycra" and aren't up to Speedo quality.
Also it can sometimes be difficult find sizes to fit you, even if you are petite. Thais are just generally that much more petite.

Also you might want to consider making sure you're up to date on your vaccinations (hep A/B, tetnus, polio, etc).

Sirenita:
I'll be there for as long as 6 months! I'm staying out of Pattaya, to the south in a place called Jomtien Beach, where the dive IDC is located. (Mermaids)

Great - when do you get there?

Seriously, I'm there on 22-24th April for a stag party and a bit of diving would be a good way to pass the day time.

Let me know, as a matter of fact I'm partying with the Philippine Paradise Divers (for the second time in three week) in Manila tomorrow night. If you get the time, nip over and pay them a visit - and the diving's better:wink: *ducks*

Sirenita:

The IDC won't take that long, so after you're finished, try to find the time to visit Phuket :)

Oooo.. Jomtien is nice! Well nicer than Pattaya beach. I remember reading that finally after 10 years, some health department just declared Pattaya Beach to be safe for swimming again. If you don't mind the nasty sewage pipe at the side of the beach of course.
I second that suggestion about packing swimsuits... but for the fact that they don't stock a large variety of sizes in some department stores. Thai women tend to be very petite and I've made too many mistakes buying "free-size" for my sisters. The usual brands like speedos, arena, hom are there but you're best getting the choices you want back home.
Have a GREAT trip!

Sirenita:

Hopefully Sirenita, during the 6 months you are there you will manage to do some diving elsewhere in Thailand at better dive sites as well.
Enjoy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom