What To Wear For The Young Female Traveller in Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Read the signs. Thai traditional massage = good enough to send your mom to. Oil massage = nasty and messy endings.

"Rub and tug" - lol.. have to remember that one. Will ask the nice lady who is older than my grandma at the beach at Patong for one when I'm next there. Some of the women doing it on the beach are seriously very good, even a 30 min session will take care of those knots from heavy gear. Wish they have a "professional" stationed on daytrip boats and LOBs.

EDIT: Just to keep this relevant, ladies do remain clothed during traditional thai massage.

Hmmm naked dancing in the moonlight? I thought it was the indigenous ways of the visitors in Koh Phangan and other exotic islands that do that?

Dress like a boy if you are so concerned...........is there something I should know about Thailand?

CCRDiverDave:
Seems like you have a lot of ugly hate for Western culture. Too bad for you. Blah blah...

Chillax, dude. See post #36.

CCRDiverDave:
Seems like you have a lot of ugly hate for Western culture.
It doesn't seem like that to me. I believe the poster simply has a healthy respect for different cultures. It's simply a matter of politeness to address local sensibilities when you travel. Now what was that saying again............ "When in Rome do what the Romans do!"

Batfish:
So how's Hawaii, Quero??

Think of us poor souls stuck at home :(

Okay. Here's a thought for all of you who are stuck at home in boring old Phuket....

First, to address the topic at hand: Here I am in Hawaii, wearing shorts and a tank top, which among the locals is considered culturally correct attire for females. In fact, I was told that as long as I am wearing *something* on my upper body, even just my bikini top, I am considered "dressed".

And what have I done here in Hawaii dressed in my culturally appropriate bikini? I've swum in sea-side hot ponds fed by a mix of salt water and spring water, and heated by volcanic geo-thermal power, in the midst of tree ferns and singing birds... I've sat in a natural sauna formed of a hollow lava cinder cone filled with steam produced by the volcano, after hiking 15 minutes back from a secondary road.... I've snorkeled in tidal pools with lava walls and channels, and so full of fish they look like aquariums...

And here's a leaf scorpionfish I saw on my very first dive off Kona at Place of Refuge, in about 10 m of water. (I did wear an outfit more appropriate for the locale, however--a 7 mm wetsuit and scuba gear.)

That's enough of a thread hijack, I guess....

Batfish:
All lovely Quero, but I really don't think I'd live in Phuket if there was an active volcano on the island :)
Hmmmm.....you wouldn't like Japan then! :D

MoonWrasse:
Well, this link covers BOTH kickboxing and dress code in Thailand :D
http://www.ishipress.com/thaikick.htm

Oooo.. the gorgeous Parinya. She is a very good example of how Thai culture can be so fluid and complex. Her conservative parents preferred that she remained a guy and yet accepted her decision and supported her gender reassignment. She is now an accomplished woman and cameoed in the film "Beautiful Boxer" that describes her life.

Guess this is why we are having so many problems trying to advise on what to wear in this wonderful country. On one hand, foreigners are made to put on those stinky and unflattering black track pants upon entering the Grand Palace in Bangkok. And just a few blocks away, girls in bikini straps are prancing down Khao San in wild abandon. And we're loving every minute.. :D

Back
Top Bottom