What To Wear For The Young Female Traveller in Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Batfish:
6 months? Why so long in Pattaya? Will you be seeking employment as an instructor in Thailand? Do you speak any languages (other than Inglish)?

Well, it will take 4-6 months to complete my IDC, sooner if I do the training in one lump, or longer if I decide to go wandering off to see the rest of Thailand for a week or 2 here and there. The course is flexible like that. So of course, during the DM level, going elsewhere to dive occasionally will be very sensible I think.... it is after all about getting the experience of different sites and situations. After that, I was thinking of heading towards Phuket side, perhaps looking for a job if I can get the visa arranged, and taking a TEFL course on the side for my future prospects!

I speak a little Spanish...mostly basic with a little intermediate sprinkled in, so of course I want to develop this skill by aiming to get a job in a Spanish speaking country following my stint in Thailand, where I can then team it up with my TEFL qualification.

Ok, that's my hazy plan for the short term to the long term. How does it sound?

speaking of what to wear . . .

basically, just wear a cute top, (tank, spag strap, baby tee) cropped pants or shorts, thong slippers or sneakers . . . easy as 123. whatever ud feel comfortable in, im sure my fellow seasian people won't mind. :)

Do come and dive over in the Philippines as well, no wardrobe issues. :)

ishbaby:
speaking of what to wear . . .

basically, just wear a cute top, (tank, spag strap, baby tee) cropped pants or shorts, thong slippers or sneakers . . . easy as 123. whatever ud feel comfortable in, im sure my fellow seasian people won't mind. :)

Do come and dive over in the Philippines as well, no wardrobe issues. :)

Ahh, that's my kind of language! Do you know, I think I actually will come to visit the Philippines, I am hearing so much about the beauty of the area! (Your tag line "This must be underwater love" is one of my favourite songs!)
(Sorry this reply is off thread, please ignore it! :)

Sirenita:
Well, it will take 4-6 months to complete my IDC, sooner if I do the training in one lump, or longer if I decide to go wandering off to see the rest of Thailand for a week or 2 here and there. The course is flexible like that. So of course, during the DM level, going elsewhere to dive occasionally will be very sensible I think.... it is after all about getting the experience of different sites and situations. After that, I was thinking of heading towards Phuket side, perhaps looking for a job if I can get the visa arranged, and taking a TEFL course on the side for my future prospects!

I speak a little Spanish...mostly basic with a little intermediate sprinkled in, so of course I want to develop this skill by aiming to get a job in a Spanish speaking country following my stint in Thailand, where I can then team it up with my TEFL qualification.

Ok, that's my hazy plan for the short term to the long term. How does it sound?

Stick to teaching diving and forget the TEFL. First the training is a joke (even the CELTA) and students deserve better than that. A well-trained non-native speaker is demonstrably better than a native speaker who has gone through one of those TEFL mills (this is a finding shown by extensive research in education). Plus it's just not fair to the students to have a teacher who doesn't view the profession as a career rather than a sideline. Secondly, even if you are a real, fully-trained teacher in some other area (like maths) and just want a crossover to TEFL, you will earn so little that it will be hard for you to consider it anything more than a sideline. In the end, the only ones who profit in any way from these TEFL couses are the owners, and believe me, it's a big business (much, much bigger worldwide than scuba).

Quero:
Stick to teaching diving and forget the TEFL. First the training is a joke (even the CELTA) and students deserve better than that. A well-trained non-native speaker is demonstrably better than a native speaker who has gone through one of those TEFL mills (this is a finding shown by extensive research in education). Plus it's just not fair to the students to have a teacher who doesn't view the profession as a career rather than a sideline. Secondly, even if you are a real, fully-trained teacher in some other area (like maths) and just want a crossover to TEFL, you will earn so little that it will be hard for you to consider it anything more than a sideline. In the end, the only ones who profit in any way from these TEFL couses are the owners, and believe me, it's a big business (much, much bigger worldwide than scuba).

In that way isn't it comparable to the Scuba Industry? Many people go through fast track internships who don't really have a passion for diving, but just want to find a way to travel the world as a bum and dive for free.
The only people to make a profit are the owners of dive centres, and for them it's big business also.

Many scuba instructors are not committed to their students, they are lazy and obviously bored with the job (I had an instructor like this, who was lazy and incompetent to the point of blatantly breaking safety regulations - he ran out of air at 80ft and shared mine until my SPG showed 400 psi but then refused to abort the dive, swam off to find another unwitting air buddy, and left me to ascend alone) (not to mention the mild sexual harrassment)
Anyway I think it is down the individual....some people should focus on one thing, and do it well, whereas others may have the aptitude to focus on several interests and maintain the same level of commitment and quality.

The only thing for it is to marry well, and retire early.

Sirenita:
In that way isn't it comparable to the Scuba Industry? Many people go through fast track internships who don't really have a passion for diving, but just want to find a way to travel the world as a bum and dive for free.
The only people to make a profit are the owners of dive centres, and for them it's big business also.

Many scuba instructors are not committed to their students, they are lazy and obviously bored with the job (I had an instructor like this, who was lazy and incompetent to the point of blatantly breaking safety regulations - he ran out of air at 80ft and shared mine until my SPG showed 400 psi but then refused to abort the dive, swam off to find another unwitting air buddy, and left me to ascend alone) (not to mention the mild sexual harrassment)
Geez...and you still want to dive?
:D

Luckily this was my advanced, as opposed to my introduction to Scuba. My original instructor was amazing, and thanks to him, I was able to see past the failings of my advanced instructor, and look to a brighter future ...(and one where I can be a better instructor!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom