What type of fins and boots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rachael

Reaction score
I'm working on getting my certification right now? I haven't bought any equipement yet but the first things i want to get are boots and then fins. The main reason for that is that ones that we are renting aren't very comfortable, are really worn out and it just doesn't feel sanitary wearing them. Also i'm looking for something good but not really expensive? What name brands are good to get? (I'm pretty sure i'm going to want cold water boots, i have no body heat)

I like a 5mm boot that has heel and toe caps to reduce wear and tear from contact with the fin and heel strap. For plain old everyday recreational scuba diving I like fins similar to the Sherwood magnum or the TUSA liberator. Fins with splits and hinges and fancy angles just aren't needed IMHO and are overpriced marketing gimmicks, again IMHO.

Sometimes the price is worth it .... originally I was buying gear a couple years ago for just snorkeling - with the possibility of diving in the future. (Got certified last September.) I went with the Henderson Gold Core boots because they're durable (has the heel & toe caps) fit well, and keep my feet very warm.

As for fins, after much research - I went with the Apollo Bio-fins - again a bit pricey, but well worth it. They are easy on & off, and low stress on my knees. (I actually blew out a knee playing volleyball and had to have surgery.) I get exceptional power with minimal effort.

I decided it was better to buy stuff that would last me for years, rather than having to replace mediocre stuff once I outgrew it. And it is a big plus having your own equipment in terms of comfort and safety. It becomes easier to concentrate on other important things when you're equipment is familiar.

Good luck on your certification!!
And your shopping!!!! :wink:

...because they make it harder to don my Jetfins in the water, and if you ever go to the ocean, you have only a little time in shore diving to jam those things on before the next wave hits.

I adore Scubamax boots. I have tried many, and my 5mm old Scubamax boots served me well on many many dives for 4 years. My NEW Scubamax boots are rugged-soled enough to clamber over rocks. I love rocky beach diving and would not bother with boots that do not allow for it. HOWEVER - the sole is so thick that I need a bigger pair of jetfins!:(

Oh, and the reason I love my jetfins is the acceleration. I can whiz out of scary currents with a burst of power. I am trying to get used to my Tusa Platinas, too, but when I take off the Jets & put the others on, my legs feel like they don't have enough "oomph" to get me going.

As long as the boots are comfortable, warm and well made, the brand doesn't matter. I have had TUSA's fall apart on me and I do like boots with thick soles.

As for fins, nothing beats Jet Fins. I've tried lots of different fins, I keep coming back to the Jets.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom