What type of wings should I start with?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

B White

Reaction score
I am planning on purchasing a Halcyon harness with SS back plate and wings. I do a lot of lake dives in a heavy wetsuit, rig diving in the Gulf, reef diving, and on occasion penetration wreck diving. I would still classify myself as recreational but am heading technical and want my gear selection to fit those needs as I progress. Halcyon has two types of wings (Pioneer and Explorer) in an assortment of lift ratings. I am thinking something around 40lbs would work for a single steel 104 or double alum 80's. Dir divers: Which model and size would work best for me? It seems like the Explorer wings are more durable, but may be more drag with singles.

Both are good choices. Explorer wings are for doubles. Pioneer wings are for singles. For Doubles I'd go around 55lb. For singles I use the 27lb but some use the 36lb. That's with a 100 HP Steel or an 80 AL. For Dual 112's I use the 55lb OMS without bunjees, the new model that comes without them.
If you don't use double's now get the Pioneer first and then the Explorer or OMS when you go to doubles.

I use a 55lb Halcyon wing for double LP 95's and single AL 80's (with dry suit). I plan on getting a 27lb wing one of these days, but I don't dive single 80's often enough to really warrent it. If you're on a real budget, you can get the 55lb wing and dive anything you want, but it's better to have a balanced system.

"but it's better to have a balanced system" this is correct, will make your diving much more enjoyable also.

Comppare the Halcyon and the OMS wings and you will decide which one you will buy. They look alike but that's the only similiarity. And when you get up close they don't even look alike.
1) Most wings use a water bladder material for the inner bladder, Halcyon uses the same material ans Zodiac Boats are made from.
2) LP inflator hose is connected via an elbow and there is no plastic release valve there.
3) It is also reinforced with a piece of Ballistic Nylon as a strain relief.
4) All LP inflator valves are not created equal. Halcyon's is a special low flow valve. In the event of a valve failure, you can dump as much air from the dumps as is being put in the wing.
5) No steel cable in them LP inflator hose, another failure point and also puts undo stress on the corrugated hose.
6) LP valve is manufactured to place LP inflator hose on the outside of the corrugated hose. Not sure about OMS
7) 12"long corrugated hose, why do you need one any longer.

These are a few of the differences, check them out before you buy.

ID

1. OMS uses a 1000 Denier Cordura backed with 5.0 - 5.5 ounces urethane. Housed inside a Cordura cover is a virgin urethane bladder .
Halcyon has made their legendary wings even stronger by constructing the inner bladder from the same 1000 denier Cordura material used on the outer bag, laminated with a durable urethane coating.

2. Both OMS and Halcyon have a plastic elbow at the bag.

3.My Halcyon's is reinforced with Ballistic Nylon. My OMS isn't.

4.My OMS and Halcyon LP inflators are the exact same models except the Halcyon has red buttons. The one on the Explorer is different than the one that comes on the Pioneers though.

5. No steel cable in my OMS or Halcyon.

6.Here is the difference in the Inflators the OMS and Halcyon Pioneer put LP inflator hose on the outside of the corrugated hose. The Halcyon Explorer puts it on the inside. This is per there site.

7.Halcyon is 12in OMS is 17in. I've gotten a knife though and could make the OMS 12 if I wanted.

8. Halcyon cost $300
OMS cost $150
These are both net prices. You might be able to find the Halcyon a little cheaper. But that's what I paid for the OMS. The Halcyon is a nicer wing but I didn't think they were twice the wing. If I got a good deal on one I'd buy one too. My Pioneer 27 is sweet. I don't have any complaints about my OMS either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom