What was the allure of braided light cords, again?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is the point of this thread again.

PS I use braided and prefer them, they are more pliable then their predecessors, I have never had a problem in hundreds of dives.

Braids are nice but I prefer a ponytail....especially a blonde one. But that's just me

Are we talking braided cables for lights, or braided regulator hoses?

The two shouldn't be conflated.

I just removed the braiding from a canister light cord and it,s much more supple and manageable. Seems like a great improvement. What is "click-bait"?

Definition of clickbait. :something (such as a headline) designed to make readers want to click on a hyperlink especially when the link leads to content of dubious value or interest.

I suppose braiding will act as a protection for the hose.

On the downside it could hide any damage to the hose.

I have stainless steel braided hoses on my Ducati brakes and clutch. The braiding constrains the hose and gives a sharper, firmer reel to the levers as your effort isn't diverted into expanding the hose. That isn't a factor in an air hose though.

So, I guess the answer is it looks flash?

Last edited:

these glands are actually more durable believe it or not than the others, but more importantly there is a massive supply issue with the other glands and the manufacturers have had to wait 3+ months to get stock back in so they were buying a years supply at a time due to terribly distributors. If you've been at it long enough, think back 10-20 years to the Poseidon sh!t show, same type of thing. MFG blaming distributor, distributor blaming MFG, and customers hung out to dry

these glands are actually more durable believe it or not than the others, but more importantly there is a massive supply issue with the other glands and the manufacturers have had to wait 3+ months to get stock back in so they were buying a years supply at a time due to terribly distributors. If you've been at it long enough, think back 10-20 years to the Poseidon sh!t show, same type of thing. MFG blaming distributor, distributor blaming MFG, and customers hung out to dry

I have no qualms about the non-metal glands, in fact the compressibilty of the strain reliefs made it easy to remove and hide the edge of the removed braiding. The light came in a soft case with the cord folded in 9" to 10" increments which the (fiberglass?) braiding was unable to "forget"......which I hated. Eventually I just cut it off to liberate a nice, very flexible, rubber hose with apparently little or no memory of the horror of being bound and trussed up. Seems to be well adjusted and doing just fine now.

PS...this is NOT an UWLD light, which seems to have much more flexible braiding.

Back
Top Bottom