What was your deepest and...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

20,000 leagues under the sea! Thats how deep I managed to go while reading a book of the same name. :)

I went to 130 feet in Turks and Caicos. To be honest, I haven't been that deep since. My favorite diving is spent on shallow reefs 45 feet or less. I see plenty of cool marine life and my bottom time is a lot longer. I would much rather spend an hour + on a shallow reef vs going deep for a shorter time and often seeing less. If you want to go deep for the sake of going deep.. knock yourself out, just make sure you have adequate training.

Deepest dive was 36.7m / 120 ft, while doing my AOW and deep certs in Morrisons Quarry.

Outside the quarry, 28.7m / 94 ft on two seperate dives - the Muscallonge wreck and the deep / long drift coming off of the Lilie Parsons, both on the St Lawrence.

All the way to the bottom

Deep dive story #1

Many many moons ago, me & my buddy M. just got our third CMAS star, which, at that time, meant we were free to go to the limit of the (any) dive tables. M. asked me to do a REAL DEEP one; I wasn't so hot, knowing I have some sensitivities to narcosis. M. insisted, so I looked around and saw another buddy, O., who's a commercial diver certified to 60M/197Ft; so I said OK if O. came too. So, equiped with double's and air, the 3 of us swam off to the lesser known territory, off a cliff called Morgiou in the Mediterranean.

At around 62M/203Ft, I wasn't feeling so great, and then there was a black veil in front of my eyes for a second or two. I decided I had it and wanted to signal the 2 other guys to go up, just to realize they were already somewhat below, checking out a sunken boat. Now there was this major dilemma: should I just go up, or force myself to go down and signal the guys? I picked the more politically correct option and swam down to 65M/213Ft.

I went to M. and signaled: me not great, me want up, and pointed my finger to the left. M. started in a text book perfect manner: you OK, me you go up... then pointed his finger to the right! And so we started yet another argument to see whether "up" was right or left. Then M. decided he had it, took my hand and started swimming to the right. Luckily, O. who was watching this all along, swam around, blocked M., and pushed all of us to the left, which was the right direction!

40 min. of deco later, of my 97th dive, I decided never to go back to that sort of depth again.

Deep dive story #1....
40 min. of deco later, of my 97th dive, I decided never to go back to that sort of depth again.

....and yet this is only Story #1. :)

Now there was this major dilemma: should I just go up, or force myself to go down and signal the guys? I picked the more politically correct option and swam down to 65M/213Ft.
Id actually call ascending more politically correct than descend when youre feeling less than good, even if it means ascending solo..

I've been enjoying reading through these posts.
To answer the original poster's question, my deepest dive on air was somewhere south of 100', and I'll leave it at that. However it felt much deeper then it was.

While there are certainly guidelines on how deep is deep, my experience is that depth is also relative. I've done a lot of diving in the Great Lakes and I have to tell you 30, 50 or 100 feet in cold, murky, dark water feels an awful lot deeper than 30, 50 or 100 feet on a reef. The first time I went diving in warm, clear water it felt like such a piece of cake compared to diving the Lakes. Obviously the risks are still there,and in some ways diving in warm clear water might actually make it a bit riskier in some ways. It's easier to unknowingly wander into depth.

That said, I think the only good reason to dive deep is if there's something to see down there. However, new divers are often enraptured (no pun intended) by the thought of deep dives and I think it's been pretty common for relatively new divers to test out a triple digit depth. Fortunately most survive and become wiser with experience.

But that changing somewhat I think. Education concerning staying within training limits has become much better over the last decade or two. I went on a live aboard to the GBR in the fall and was pleased to see OW level divers taking depth limits more seriously. That attitude certainly is a change from when I was first trained back in the early 70s.

Ok now. We were trained to drive a car up to 55 mph but many have pushed that limit. The smart onespushed slowly till they did not want to push any more. The dumb ones pushed till they were dead. Same thing here. I personally have pushed it to xxx but I know now that my limit on air is 124. After that I'm narced. I know it, which helps the situation of me being aware of the situation yet pretty useless in trying to be a buddy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom