What was your deepest and...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I find that the deeper you go past 25ish m the less you see. My deepest is properly just over 45M, set off all sorts of alarms on my computer but the 40something sweetlips and the picture to show it was worth it. (Y)

195' in my Normoxic course, on 18/45. It was a drift dive off Akumal, pretty boring actually.

The current (July) issue of Dive Training has an article on narcosis that includes information I had never heard before. On pages 49-50, it describes a study that suggests that your attitudes and beliefs about narcosis influence the degree to which you are affected. Three different groups were trained extensively about narcosis and its effects prior to a test situation, but the three groups were given very different training. Their performances on the same test tasks correlated with what they had been taught. At one extreme, those who were taught that the effects of narcosis were unavoidable and extreme were unable to perform the tasks at depth. At the other extreme, those who were taught that the effects of narcosis were overstated and controllable through willpower were able to perform the tasks well.

Very interesting. It's a bit like the placebo effect eh? Amazing what the will of the mind can accomplish.

I never knew I felt anything myself until sitting back days later and recalling a slightly euphoric effect... like slipping on a warm glove on a cold winter's day. But I was also pretty shallow...

Some people can't be hypnotized while others can be made to cluck like a chicken.:D

Incorrect. People cannot all be hypnotized the same way. All people can be hypnotized.

Generally speaking, the stage show acts (clucking chickens etc) are performed by feeble-skilled practitioners who are more about the laughs than the art.

Google Richard Bandler or Milton Erikson if you'd like to learn more...

My deepest was to 104fsw, Santa Rosa Wall, Cozumel. (my deep dive for AOW). It was epic (to me), the wall towering above like a coral skyscraper and looking down to see the wall plunge into utter blue darkness knowing the bottom was thousands of feet below, drifting along just taking it all in. Loved it. Probably my fav dive to date. First swim-throughs, lots of marine life, and a private tour of the wall with a guide that knew the wall like the back of his hand.

Depth is an obstacle and there better be something of interest to see for me. 300ft= 2 120cf steel tanks trimix, 2 80cf deco bottles trimix, 1 80cf bottle air, 1 53cf bottle O2. Did investigate an old bed and breakfast on the bottom of a manmade lake.

My first 40m+/130ft dive (48m), I will never forget: really special. It was a steep wall. A really great dive. We dove on air.
My first 50m+ dive was not special, only cold and dark. We did it on air too, with 50% decogas.
My first trimix dive was 'only' to 46m, not special. Cold, bad visibility.
My first cave dive (cavern) was really good, you dive in an unreal world.

So if there is a reason to go deep (wreck, good visibility), I do it. And then you know it will be decodives, it costs a lot (trimix, decogas), a lot of stops, etc. But it's worth. And of course I make shallow dives too (sometimes only 5-7m depth). Most of my dives are not deep.

How deep ? How deep? How deep ?

Depth is not the only interesting part of diving ! As a matter of fact, it is the least interresting part of recreational diving ( to me at least ) !!!

No, but it is one of the interesting things... Don't go picking on the guy for asking a harmless question. Depth is important to some people, not so much for others.. I myself am intrigued by the "mystery" of the deep dives.

As for the question: I havent been very deep myself. 40meters is my deepest. Was a great dive in Isla de la Plata in Equador. ****loads of huge Manta Rays.. looked like a manta ray mating ground or something :)

I have talked with new divers (usually young) who seem to equate surviving a deep dive with being a good or experienced diver. I think they get over it pretty quickly.

My digital logbook has some pretty neat functions.

I have 207 dives, 8754 minutes, longest dive 85 minutes, average dive time 43 minutes, deepest dive 130', average max depth 56'. Only 11 dives exceeded 100' all were on wrecks.

Since I have become interested in photography, my dives have become more shallow and longer.

195' in my Normoxic course, on 18/45. It was a drift dive off Akumal, pretty boring actually.

I am so sorry to hear that. I am working up to dive the e.m. clark in the spring of 2013. With plenty to see I am told.
Eric

Incorrect. People cannot all be hypnotized the same way. All people can be hypnotized.

Generally speaking, the stage show acts (clucking chickens etc) are performed by feeble-skilled practitioners who are more about the laughs than the art.

Google Richard Bandler or Milton Erikson if you'd like to learn more...
Going a bit offtopic, but if youre into the kinda stuff of Bandler and Erikson you might want to check out a book called Provocative Hypnosis, written by Jørgen Rasmussen. Its gotten great reviews from people like john Grinder and Ross Jeffries. http://www.provocativehypnosis.com

301' at the bottom of the pit in eagles nest cave. One of the few places where I would happily pay the cost of He to do it over and over again.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom