What was your deepest and...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

61 meters for the AOW deep dive?

What agency? That's roughly twice the limit for PADI AOW.

I'm an experienced diver but I only had a OWD card from my first attempt at diving when i was 12. A friend of mine need-ed a DM to help around the shopso we rushed trough AOWD and rescue (not the DM, took our sweet time with that), and we did AOWD req-s in 1 dive, deep to 61, then orientation and night during the deco. I would rather not say what agency, and I would like to point out that I was not leading dives unsupervised.

. I would rather not say what agency,

Probably doesn't matter which agency. Any agency which complies with either the ISO (ISO 24801-1 (-2) (-3) or European standards (EN 14153-1 (-2) (-3) for recreational diving would place in-water decompression as outside the scope of an autonomous diver. You were definitely outside of recreational standards during this experience.

Does anyone familiar with CMAS or WRSTC see this differently?

What would you like to know precisely, as 3* CMAS diver I might be able to explain.

To all who thing going deep is great: Going deep can be hazardous to your health unless trained AND have experience (which can come from someone else who has more experience).

I wonder how much experience the OP has at this point! 293' on the Attakula Lodge in Jocassee on the same dive with TONY. It was a great dive and a great day! Bottom mix 13/55, deco 21/30, 50/12 and o2. 112 min runtime. I'd like to stay longer next time and would be great to do with the same divers!

(don't cave/wreck/ice/overhead environment dive without training/experience - you'll die.)

360' ish, inside Diepolder II. I think next on my list is going to be True Blue Quarry/Mine in Vermont - I hear it has some awesome giant passages - like you can fit 10 grey hound buses inside one passage.

the best dive is the one without the deco stop...if you can avoid deco stop AS recreational diver do it. If you are not working as a diver...avoid it...its better for you/your body.

If you`ve been over 40meters/ 120-130 feets do US a favour and dont share that info...let the rest of the world understand that going down just to have a screenshot with some numbers on it its not really worth the trouble.

Oh my... By this standard, mankind would never have expanded past the Garden Of Eden...or Uganda, depending on your beliefs!

Anyway, my point is that your points are pointless. A properly executed dive involving required stops is no more or less safe than a "no deco" dive. Which isn't actually a thing, since every dive involves decompressing.

As for the arbitrary 120'-130' limit you quote, I would say that about 90% of my non-vacation diving is done with maximum depths between 110' and 190'. There's a wack of awesomeness there, and in spite of completing literally thousands of those dives, they've all ended up with the only side effect being a big smile on my face.

Diving "only" to go deep may not make sense, but depth need not be a hindrance either (within reason) subject to training, experience and gear choices.

A properly executed dive involving required stops is no more or less safe than a "no deco" dive.
Bolding mine. And the "every dive is a decompression dive" meme is getting a bit frayed on the edges, IJS.

the arbitrary 120'-130' limit you quote
I'd like to contest the "arbitrarity" of the 30m/100' or 40m/130' "rule".

At 40m/130', your no-stop bottom time is some 10 min. To me, that's short enough to border on a bounce dive. At 30m/100', it's some 20min. Besides, rock bottom gas time for a normal single at those depths is in the same order of magnitude, so staying longer is, IMNSHO, not particularly smart. So, for a sensible dive at depths exceeding ~40m/130', you'd need more gas than a normal single can carry, and since you'll go into deco (that is mandatory deco stops, don't drag the "every dive is a decompression dive" meme into this), you haven't direct access to the surface anymore and need gear and skills to solve any upcoming issue at depth.

So for the normal rec trained and equipped diver, a depth limit of some 30-40m/100-130' makes a lot of sense. And don't get me started on being narked without realizing it...

Back
Top Bottom