What was your deepest and...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saturday, we dove the oil rigs here in So Calif.. Max depth was 405', runtime was 125 minutes. This was done on my CCR, Dil was 8/68 trimix (O2/He). For bailout, I carried 12/60, 18/45, 50% O2 and 100% O2. On dives like this we always use scooters, it is too hard to swim with 4 Al 80s.

photo-11.JPG

Attachments

• photo-11.JPG
    photo-11.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 267
I have dived to 65m/213ft on the USS Aaron Ward in the Solomon Islands. We had roughly 15 min bottom time and the remainder of the 85 min dive was spent in deco. It was an amazing dive and I remembered it fairly well post dive, 28 degree water (Celsius), vis as far as the eye can see, with dead flat water. Would I do it again? I plan to!! But not with the equipment (or lack of equipment) that we conducted the dive with or without the proper training. I currently have my TDI adv. Nitrox and deco procedures, planning on doing ext. Range before Truk Lagoon this April!!

All the way to the bottom

Yeah; I found it inconvenient that the bottom keeps getting in the way, so I did a cave course and found a hole to go deeper.

Then I found that even with helium there is a depth that is just not worth it for my personal risk appetite. So my depth limit is somewhat less than the number printed on my C-card now days.

My top 5 favourite ever dives. . . Four were less than 130 ft depth.

Deep dive story #2

I didn't do this one, just eye witnessed it.

It was yet another day at the office, on a boat in Baja, heading out to El Bajo for a 3 tank dive day with the usual suspects (not the guru's on this board, but the hammerheads, sea lions, and other critters).

During the ride out, and in the middle of nowhere, 2 guys stood up, a crazy Italian called G and his buddy; each of them had a tank at the back, and one tank under each arm (it was the 90's, bell bottom was the rage, not sidemount, and sports diving was bio-degradable air only).

G said to the captain: "Stop the boat, we dive here!".
The captain said: "You can't dive here, it's too deep!".
G said: "If you don't stop the boat, I jump!"

So the captain stopped the boat, they jumped in.

After a long wait, they surfaced miraculously, and the first thing they did, they took a pic of both computers, and both were maxed out at 99 meters/325 feet.

I was a support diver for a team that was doing a practice dive to 450'. After they headed up, I continued down the line til I reached the end. My max depth was 484'. It was black as night and I could not see anything that my light did not shine on. The surface temperature was in the mid 80's but at depth it dropped to 49 degrees. I had a drysuit on and could still feel the cold. My hands were beginning to lose dexterity when I turned around and started back up. I was glad to get back up into the warmer waters for my deco.

141ft to see the props of the Spiegel Grove.

I can't say I enjoyed my deepest dive. It was a wreck at 120'. Problem is you have less time in the water as your air quickly becomes the limiting factor especially during a recreational dive with a single 80cu ft tank. That dive lasted 22 minutes.

My best dive ever was in a bay with max depth 47' and an average depth of 25'. I saw more and traveled farther during this dive and we had a lot more fun around the shallow wrecks and reef. See life was abundant and the visibility was over 100'. They were rays, turtles, barracuda, stone fish, one (1) sea horse and many other organisms during this dive.

West Vancouver, BC, max depth 34 meters, water temp 6C, nighttime, solo as usual. One ear clogged as I was gliding down past 20M, so I came up 3M' cleared it, then headed down to an alien field of Sea Feathers randomly poking out of the sand. Hung out at depth until the World started spinning uncontrollably. Immediately started a slow ascent. Turns out it was alternobaric vertigo... yay.

181' on air off Kona coast, Hawaii. I was exploring an isolated coral head at about 125' when I saw another one further away, in the field of sand. I checked it out and found a mixed school of juvenile bluestripe snappers and pennant butterflyfish. I took one shot from above but it looked dark even with the flash maxed, so I descended further down. To my surprise, the pennants did not try to hide in the coral like most fish would do, they took off. So my 2nd clean shot caught only the snappers. Total bottom time this dive was 1 hr 18 min, average depth 41'.

Pennant butterflyfish are very rare off Kona coast. In all my experience, I've seen one at 40' and one at 150', and this very deep dive was the only time I've seen a school.

We went out with Bill from Lake Jocassee scuba shop in Salem SC. I went to 256' to the roof of the Attakulla Lodge in Lake Jocassee. We were on mix which I will not tell what the content was. We got to see it at it's best! Vis was great, crew was the best and all the divers were great group together. 2 SM, 2 BM and one RB. Debbie Fletcher was with us and the food that she cook only paled in comparison to her stories coupled with her photo album from her childhood at the lodge. What a great day!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom