What watch do real divers wear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To the OP: First a question: What's a 'real diver'?

When I dive with a watch, it's a Citizen Eco-Drive diver. Many times I don't.

Out of the water, I do wear dive watches as well. Ones that I don't want to get beat up :wink:

I'm not the OP but it's funny you should ask "What's a real diver?"...

I was once asked if I was a real pilot and I wasn't quite sure how to answer the question, I thought I was since I had pretty certificate from the FAA that said I was.

As a pilot I wear a Citizen Skyhawk.
As a diver I wear a Citizen Aqualand.

well here is another Dive story ,,,and i am full of them,,,

had been over in the Bahamas diving a few years back [1977] and flooded all my dive watches,,,,

coming back to Key Largo i put them all in for repair,,,well the Rolex cost me about $350.00 or so the bill said,,,this was a freebie watch given to me by the Rolex Rep,,,so no charge,,,the other 2 watches were about $150.00 each,,,, i said BS on watches for diving,,

i then read Skin Diver mag and saw Casio had a ad for dive watches,,$17.00 bucks each,,,so ordered 5 of them and have used them ever since for Diving,,,i can flood one and toss it over my right shoulder and break out a new one,,,

also sold my other dive watches ,,in fact my Rolex i sold to a good friend and he has never flooded it.

so buy a cheap Casio and dive away and have fun.

I have the same set as DMDavid

citizen's HyperAqualand and Casio G-shock

I use to only use the citizen's as a dive watch ,but when my band broke on the G-shock I've been wearing the citizen's daily and diving for over a year now

$60 Casio but then I had to buy a new band so I could fit it over wet or dry suit so it drove up cost by $10. Then I had to buy a pin extractor....$10 so maybe a bit more expensive unit would have been better thought out!

I only have a few requirements: hands that move, band that retains watch if one pin falls out, bezel that only moves one direction.Numbers are a plus. My dive light covers reading it so glow in the dark or light up is optional. Rated to 660' and so far the water has stayed out. I would have been scared to buy it if it was rated to 666'....

I have been using a Casio Pathfinder 1300 for close to three years as a 24/7 watch for all my outdoors activities including diving and must logged over 160 dives with it. Atomic time, Solar Power, Digital compass, thermometer, barometer and altimeter.

I wear a Seiko Orange Monster daily and when diving a shorty in the warm water. For more serious dives it is two computers (Predator/Nitek Duo). The monsters are a great deal on Amazon.

Attachments

• orange monster.jpg
    orange monster.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 442
I have been using a Casio Pathfinder 1300 for close to three years as a 24/7 watch for all my outdoors activities including diving and must logged over 160 dives with it. Atomic time, Solar Power, Digital compass, thermometer, barometer and altimeter.

I've been using the titanium Sea pathfinder for three years. No atomic time, is solar, has depth gauge, time under water, Digital compass, thermometer, and barometer.

I'd been happy with it for 24/7 wear and backup. I could use the buttons underwater. Problem is, I just found out the titanium band is connected to the case with a skinny resin loop! So now I have a pocket watch! :angrymob: $250 wasted! I thought I'd get at least the 5 years I got out of the basic resin casios I've had before. The new Pathfinder skips the depth gauge & underwater timer now as well.

I've been looking at the posts here for opinions of folks like me that want a few basic features for fun when snorkeling/backup and as an every day watch.

The Citizen Eco-Drive Aqualand with Dive Log - 20th Anniversary Model I saw has good features but a weird look (and I just prefer digital)

The Citizen Hyper Aqualand Promaster Diving Watch line has some good reviews and looks good too. I just wish it has the solar! It'd be just my luck that the battery would die while on a trip, and I'm not wild about the time & $$ of mailing it back to them...

Does a watch similar to my old Sea pathfinder or the Hyper Aqualand Promaster exist that HAS the solar like the eco-drive and the Casio?? I hate not having a watch but don't want to rush into a watch this time....

Thanks!

Alrighty, so I've been a huge Luminox fan for years, but I find myself in more and more serious business meetings where most people wear Rolexes and similar. I need to step up from my canvas/velcro watch, but I'm still looking for a dive quality watch. Criteria:

-Stainless/metal/plated band of some sort. Really, metal is my only standard.
-I refuse to pay $5k for a Submariner. I'd rather not spend $1k for a Tag. Tissot and Citizen Eco-Drive seem to be in my wheel-house, it's just tough to find one that's not almost comical looking. That orange-faced Aqualand is absurd looking imo.

I'm really just looking for some suggestions. I like multi-function chronographs, looking for one in a classy case that can be a diver. Anyone got any clues here?

Back
Top Bottom