What went wrong on your dive today/recently? And what did you learn?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yesterday managed to get hooked by a fisherman who was very determined to land the 235 lb fish he thought he had, line tangled into the spring strap on my Recons, I ready dislike springs for this very reason. After a good 5 minute fight I either broke the line or he cut it before losing it all?

muck water conditions, dark and green, the line was green so I couldn’t see it until I walked out.View attachment 781621View attachment 781622View attachment 781623
I learned not to use springs if I can help it.
That fisherman had one heck of a fish that got away story. He probably went directly to the bar afterwards for the rest of the day just to tell his story. The fish with two fins.

My first dive of 2023 this March - apparently I had not screwed in the kidney dump valve properly (possibly at an angle) on my relatively new Xdeep Zen BP/W. I am at 28 mtrs (bottom around 50 or more) and I hear a popping sound. Instinctively and reflexively my hand reaches for the exact position of the dump valve in a split second and catch the spring and valve floating down … dive saved! I beckon the dive guide who screws it back on correctly a few moments later.

What worked - Own dive gear and familiarity with it meant that my muscle memory and reflexes worked to reach the exact location and grab the sinking valve spring and cord before I could even turn my neck to look in the direction. (I only realised what had happened when I found myself grasping the parts in my hand with the tactile sensation).

What didn’t work - my hands and brain when testing my wing on land while setting up my gear - I heard staccato noises when the wing was fully inflated and the sounds were possibly the valve slipping loose over the threading one by one. I thought it was the overpressure valve doing its thing.

I don’t know if the regular dive shop BCD dump valves would have fit my Zen exactly if the original one sank to the bottom without me successfully retrieving it - worst case meaning I dive with rental gear the entire trip - after lugging the gear and paying for extra baggage to a remote place with no shops.

That fisherman had one heck of a fish that got away story. He probably went directly to the bar afterwards for the rest of the day just to tell his story. The fish with two fins.
Bright orange fins but doubt he could see them at 30’ in all of the kelp.
DSCI1795.jpeg

this is actually a pic of the pair with bungee.

Primary light (big blue) didn’t turn on first dive, deployed backup. It wasn’t a night dive but with the red tide, might as well been. During the SI unscrewed it, not flooded, resealed it and it worked. So no idea what happened.

Bright orange fins but doubt he could see them at 30’ in all of the kelp.View attachment 781650
this is actually a pic of the pair with bungee.

He did, he was telling the story of him catching TWO huge orange fish!!! He had lots of drinking to do when telling his story in the bar.

My first dive of 2023 this March - apparently I had not screwed in the kidney dump valve properly (possibly at an angle) on my relatively new Xdeep Zen BP/W. I am at 28 mtrs (bottom around 50 or more) and I hear a popping sound. Instinctively and reflexively my hand reaches for the exact position of the dump valve in a split second and catch the spring and valve floating down … dive saved! I beckon the dive guide who screws it back on correctly a few moments later.
As part of my pre-dive check I always twist the dump valve to see that it is still screwed on tight, might be something to consider.

Also halcyon wings and SMBs have the same dump valve, so it's a convenient backup. Don't know if this works with other brands. And if it fails underwater at least the wing can still hold air without it if you're horizontal.

As part of my pre-dive check I always twist the dump valve to see that it is still screwed on tight, might be something to consider...
Ha, on my last dive in Malpelo in 2021, by butt dump valve came off in my hand. I had never thought to check it, I do now :)

Diving in a 3-4m swell on the south coast of Tasmania will cause you to be washed back and forth across the bottom 10-20m at a depth of 50m. Note to self don't bother unless the swell is less than 2m.
Ocean swells are huge and powerful.

Curious as to how it felt at deco? Stable or difficult?

Not as bad as thought, we cut our depth and bottom time to limit deco to 30min rather than the 60min we planned thinking we would be jagged up and down a lot.

After a 50km trip out to the site, with light winds, no current and vis of 30+m we had to just give it a go.

Back
Top Bottom