What went wrong on your dive today/recently? And what did you learn?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We had planned a team recovery dive on a sunken boat. The boat sunk last year and is owned by a local JROTC program that teaches a sailing camp every year. The local public safety dive team had committed to raising her, but a year had gone by and they still have no timeline to start.

I visited the lake the week before and there was about 6 feet of vis (which is pretty amazing there), but when we arrived and deployed ROVs to do a pre-dive survey, the vis had gone to 0. I noped us right out of that dive.

I'm willing to dive with a risk of entanglement, but I'm not willing to do that in 0 vis. That dive will keep until conditions improve.

I was teaching an advanced course in a local lake that has a line run between two wrecks (in OW). I had one student and one DM candidate. We were doing a simulated 0 vis exit on the line, and as we came to the end of the line we found a large catfish hooked into the line. To free the fish, I had to cut the main line.

By the time I got the fish free, I was getting really cold. I handed the long end of the line to my DM candidate so I could start the repair. I looked back and he'd let the line go and it was going everywhere and about to entangle him.

By the time we had that sorted, I was really cold and my hands were getting numb. It took me about 10 minutes longer than it should have to do the repair.

Lessons learned:

1 - Fish can wait. I should have gotten out, warmed up, and then gone back.

2 - Even though I'd briefed entanglement hazards, I assumed my DMC would hold on to the line. Rec divers aren't tech divers. I'll be talking more about what to do with the line in the future.

3 - My advanced student, who was kind of a buoyancy mess, went up above the thermocline and executed a beautiful horizontal hover (a first for her) while we were repairing the line. I think the hover improved because there wasn't any pressure on her since I, "wasn't watching and evaluating" her performance.

@VikingDives just curious, is it cave line run between the two wrecks or a substantial rope?
It's cave line or something of similar thickness (maybe 550 cord?). I'm not sure who ran it, and it's multicolored.

It's cave line or something of similar thickness (maybe 550 cord?). I'm not sure who ran it, and it's multicolored.
Multicolored or not, I'm not a fan of cave line being run mid-water column in lakes known to cyclically go through periods of bad visibility. Algae grows on any line too.

The dive-light came loose and fell off the horseshoe mount on my camera-rig. On the bright side, we saw it floating and rescued it. It wasn't an expensive light, but still, it's better to not lose things. Before the next dive, I'll have a little bit of cord tied to it, just in case it comes unscrewed again.

Lost dive light after it got caught under a shoulder strap after I had to return to shore to get more weight because of new fluffy undergarment. First cold water dive of the year. Last year I lost a dive light after it slipped out of the soft Goodman handle. Also first or second cold water dive of last year. Morale is that I should use cheap dive lights from Princeton Tech early in the year?

Came here to lick my wounds and it seems I'm not the only one... I dropped my primary light yesterday on my last deco stop. I don't really know how it happened, it was cold, I reached for the anchor line and I saw it going to the bottom. Dive was over an hour in 45F water. If anyone wants to look for a $500 light 9 miles off Manhattan in the mud hole, PM me and I'll tell you where its at.

Bummer Andy. I've never lost a $500 light (yet). I have watched lights go into the abyss though, I feel your pain.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom