What went wrong on your dive today/recently? And what did you learn?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always ask this-- when you use that valet key to open the door doesn't your alarm go off?

On vehicles with theft deterrent keys, yes it makes the alarm go off. I keep the regular key safely stored inside (but not visible) and I just grab it and hit unlock. That stops the alarm. This is a common sound at popular shore diving sites in Florida such as Blue Heron bridge.

I always ask this-- when you use that valet key to open the door doesn't your alarm go off?
Probably vehicle-specific, but not on my Pilot.

On vehicles with theft deterrent keys, yes it makes the alarm go off. I keep the regular key safely stored inside (but not visible) and I just grab it and hit unlock. That stops the alarm. This is a common sound at popular shore diving sites in Florida such as Blue Heron bridge.
I guess I could just turn the motor on, step on the break (I think) and turn the alarm off. Just don't like calling attention to myself.

I guess I could just turn the motor on, step on the break (I think) and turn the alarm off. Just don't like calling attention to myself.
Walking out of the water with 100lbs of gear looking like a human swamp creature, you're already drawing attention to yourself.

Walking out of the water with 100lbs of gear looking like a human swap creature, you're already drawing attention to yourself.
Yeah, but getting dressed in the van, etc.

I learned something today. When you hide your spare car keys under the rock you keep for that purpose and put the key (in ziplock bag) and rock on your car hood after the dive, don't drive away with them on there. I did retrieve them (unlike the time I left them on the base of the windshield and drove away-- to the tune of a $250 US replacement). DAMN those chip keys the last 15 years !!!
2021 I decided to squeeze one last dive in North Carolina before driving 9 hours home. I rinsed my gear and while it was drip drying a little, I started to load up my VW wagon. First thing I did was throw my dry bag in the back and close the hatch. Went back to the dock, grabbed my gear and... oh no, the door is locked. My keys and wallet are in the dry bag in the car. Turns out it has one of those features that opens a locked door (or hatch) if you pull on it and a key is nearby on you. My car went from locked to "oh there's a key nearby OUTSIDE" to happily locked again when I shut the hatch. I'm now kind of soggy, with no money, no ID, no key and facing a 9 hour drive home. In the end the local police helped me pop a door lock. I'm certain my loading up mistake was influenced by my desire to get on the road quickly.

After an abortive dive yesterday, I'mma post on behalf of myself and and my dive buddy.
  • Buddy: Establish a single staging area for gear. That way, vital parts are less likely to be left behind.

• Me: Establish a more detailed plan, including closer waypoints and a plan for meeting up if we get separated. Listening for bubbles doesn't work on a rebreather...

Back
Top Bottom