What wetsuits do Floridians wear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SFL_diver

Registered
Reaction score
I'm just curious what most of you guys wear for summer & winter diving in the ocean?

And what about summer & winter diving in the springs?

I live in Florida, and when I dive in the summer, even a skin is too much. I'd prefer to just dive with no skin. I'll go down with two HP 130s for an hour each dive and I'm still a little hot after the second dive - even with the wind from the boat blowing on me as we go back to port.

I will also mention that I got a Henderson Gold Core 3mm vest. I thought the Gold Core was a bunch of BS, but I found that it sticks to your body much better and seems to keep me warmer. Has anyone had any experience with the Gold Core 3mm or 5mm wetsuits? I'm going to be doing some spring diving this fall and winter, and I'm wondering whether I should get a 5mm Gold Core, or just put on my 3mm Gold Core vest and then my 3mm Bare full wetsuit over that.

In the ocean, I've worn a 5mm shorty in spring and summer. Summer this was too much. In the springs I wear a 5mm shorty, or a 5mm two piece. Springs do not change temps based on seasons, so I change exposure suits depending on length of time in the water. For the typical 45 minute dive the 5mm shorty is fine. If I am in for an hour or two, I wear more.

I've never worn a suit in Florida. We dive in shorts and tshirts in the summer and only in the Keys or Gulf. This year we might pull out our 3mm and try some Thanksgiving diving.

Summer, just a swim suit. Winter (mid-November - mid-May) a 3/2 on the east coast/Keys and a 7 in the Gulf. I don't own a skin.

I pretty much echo Walter - swimsuit, been known to pull out a 3/2 now and again (when it gets down around 70ish) and if its colder than that I have a hard time wanting to get in the water. Wetsuits and my shoulder (and colder than 70ish degree water) don't like my shoulder much and I respect that. :)

Between March and November, I fluctuate between a 3mm full suit with over 170 dives on it, and a 3mm shorty. Between November and March, the same 3mm full suit with a 2mm vest and if the water temp is below 72, a beanie hood.

In the winter I use a 3mil farmer john & full 3mil jacket. I also wear a hood. Summer, nothing or my 3mil farmer john. When I dive the springs, I'll wear a 3mil hood, 7mil Farmer john and 3il jacket.

I get cold really fast

I've worn a 2 mil shorty, and that was fine, but i was in the Keys last weekend and wore a bathing suit and a rash guard. it was perfect! for the springs, i think im going to ask for a long suit for xmas (no ocean diving here...<cry>)

In the summer I wear a 1/2 mm full wetsuit, in the winter I wear a 5mm full wetsuit, in the springs I wear a Drysuit. I never get in the water with a shorty or a farmer john anymore! Why? Sea Lice, Jelly Fish, Fire Coral, I've ran into all of em' unprotected in the Gulf!....Not anymore!! ..Case in Point, We were out last Sunday in the Gulf, next thing we knew there were hundreds of Jellies above us, had to deal with them all the way up the anchor line back to the boat..I was the only one with full protection and the only one not stingin' and scratchin' and stinkin' like vinegar when we got back!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom