What wetsuits do Floridians wear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Summer, I wear skins or just my bathing suit. The past few winters I have been incredibly cold with my 3mm farmer jane, 3mm shorty, and hood. Ok, so I am a true warm water weenie. Getting a warmer suit for the springs and winter diving. Brrrr..

I do some deeper diving and we sometimes have cold water upwellings so for me in the summer, it's an old 3mm full suit that been past 150' too many times and is probably about 1mm now. It keeps the stinging thingys off me as well.

In the winter, I wear a 5mm full suit with a 2mm hood and can do an hour plus in that with 70 degree water.

I don't wear a wetsuit in the winter!!!

Because I don't dive here in the winter. Even with full thick farmer and hood and cold water gloves, I just can't stand to be in the water for longer than 15 minutes before I am totally miserable. I'm a weinie and I'm not ashamed to admit it. Too bad because some of best visibility is in the winter.

That said, a hood is a must and I recommend having neoprene gloves instead of reef gloves. And by golly get out of, or cover up, your wet wetsuit if you have any kind of surface interval.

Summer when the jellies are away, I wear my swimming trunks. Jellies get thick, the skin comes out. I'll break out the 3mm usually in November and keep it on till April or so, hoodvest underneath in Jan, Feb and maybe March.

3mm in panhandle springs(68F water) in the summer, add the hoodvest during the cooler winter times because I don't heat up as much out of water. 3mm is more than ample for the FL peninsula springs for hour, hour and a half dives.

Just curious - how cold do the springs and caves get? Florida cold or Cold cold?

Cheers,
Rohan.

Tassie_Rohan:
Just curious - how cold do the springs and caves get? Florida cold or Cold cold?

Cheers,
Rohan.

70-72 degrees all year round !
Some can vary a degree or two , but that is around the average I see all year round.

Jeano Beano
Fort White , Florida

I apologize, I forgot to respond to the summer part of your question.

Early summer I wear a thin one-piece neoprene wetsuit. When that gets too hot, I switch to my Polartec skin. When that gets too hot, I switch to a skin for jelly prevention. As the water cools, I reverse the process until it's just too darn cold then I miss all the fun.

Summer= .5 skin

Eventually move back to a 3 mil.

Winter= Keys and East Coast I wear a 5 mil. In the Gulf wear a 7 mil.

One of my favorite pieces of neophrene is the 2.5 mil hooded vest. I wear it in the winter all the time. It makes all the difference in the world.

By the way I have a Scuba Pro S-Tek Silverskin 5 Mil wetsuit in GREAT shape I am about to Ebay. Size is MR (Medium regular)- black with some grey trim. $130 + shipping takes it. Just send me a PM and Ill take some pictures.

What do you think the average water temps are in South Florida waters during the Winter time?

I'm thinking that I'll use my 3mm full wetsuit for most diving around Ft Lauderdale and The Keys in the winter. For the springs, I think I'll layer the 3mm vest underneath the 3mm full wetsuit to get 6mm on my body, and also add hood with 3mm gloves.

SFL_diver:
What do you think the average water temps are in South Florida waters during the Winter time?

Depends on what part of South Florida. SE Florida and the Keys - low 70s. SW Florida mid 60s.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom