What whistle to buy for diving? storm whistle ? fox 40?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

littlegorgor

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to buy a whistle for diving. I've been looking at the storm whistle, however some says that it has a pea and will swell or break after prolong use in water? Is this true?

Another option is fox 40? Is there difference between different model? any recommendation on which model to get?

many thanks

Gordon

Try the Fox 40 Sharx, that is what I use.
I removed the lanyard/ring it came with and installed a bolt snap with cave line. Little blurb about it below. I bought mine on Fleabay

upload_2019-2-8_14-31-57.png

A powerful, reliable whistle for search and rescue, personal safety, and outdoor extreme conditions. Made from durable polycarbonate and co-molded elastomer for added comfort and slip resistance. The pealess design eliminates the potential for moving parts to freeze, jam, or deteriorate - making it possible to perform in all weather conditions. The Fox 40 Sharx whistle comes in neon / gray and includes a breakaway lanyard.

I ordered a storm whistle a few days ago, hasn't arrived yet. Planning to just tie it to the backplate and have hanging in the bp storage pack for when it's needed.

The guy who invented the Storm Whistle was the guest speaker at our dive club meeting.
About forty of us sat around tables relaxing with our drinks in a small upstairs banquet room.
He stood in front of the group, lifted the orange whistle, and gave it a good blow...
Two people dropped their drinks, and the rest of us went deaf and didn't hear most of what he said for the rest of his talk.
The dive shop sold out of Storm Whistles the next day.

I'm looking to buy a whistle for diving. I've been looking at the storm whistle, however some says that it has a pea and will swell or break after prolong use in water? Is this true?
The ball that is in some whistles is called a "pea" but is not, literally, a pea. Probably real or synthetic cork.

I usually stick with a pealess whistle on anything I will be wearing such as a BC (or PFD for paddling) simply because they tend to be more compact and stay out of the way better rather than getting caught on things. Often these items will come with a streamlined whistle. There are good ones.

I am hesitant to put a bolt snap on my whistle. I don't want that heading to the bottom if I drop it while using it at the surface. It is one item I am more comfortable with being positive or nuetrally bouyant. I have mine looped with a thin bungee on my right chest d-ring and another on my SMB d-ring.
Storm whistle @ $4.95 is $3 +- less

As a long time soccer/football referee I like the Fox-40. Loud and weather/wet doesn't affect it.

Fox 40 is my choice. When I lifeguard, it can be heard over the din of an indoor waterpark. Have one on my bc.

Does the Fox 40 wok underwater for signaling? BTW - The Storm does

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom