What workbook?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks so much for all the information. What I forgot to say Is I am heading down to Key west and am going to take class there, I also do not have a local dive shop, closest one in 1.5 hours away. Is there some place online I can order the book, I already have the DVD. I thought I had ordered the right one from leisure pro but I got the dang one to become A DIVE MASTER!
Thanks so much

Boy you certainly plan ahead don't you. :)

I had a student that wanted to research the material before she even came into the store to sign up for a class, so she went to the library and they had a copy of the OW manual there. She read the whole thing at home then signed up for the class at which point she got her book. It didn't take her long to do the knowledge reviews prior to the class. Not sure if all libraries have the book in or what version but even if it is a slightly (note sligthly - not 15 years old) older version the material should be mostly the same and if you read that, when you go down to the keys you will be able to breeze through the knowledge reviews - that would only leave the tables to learn when you got down there.

atldavek, congratulations on starting your certification process. Please pardon me if this is a matter you've covered already, but something in your posts made me wonder...

Have you spoken with the dive shop in Key West about your plan? They may well have recommendations about how you should proceed, and following those may make the time you spend in Key West easier (and cheaper). They may well be able to send you the OW packet they use, so that it will be included in the instruction price. It's certainly worth checking.

BTW, there are two types of PADI OW packet - one has the "RDP" (Recreational Dive Planner) dive tables printed on a piece of sturdy plastic, the other has a dedicated calculator called the "eRDP". I started with the eRDP, and replaced it with the printed tables, for three reasons. First, I will never have a printed piece of plastic with dead batteries; second, I can take the printed tables underwater with me if I want to (though I admit I haven't yet); and third, I found the printed tables gave me a much better sense of the relationships between depth and nitrogen absorption. YMMV and I'm told the printed tables can be more easily misused and can produce more errors, but if I was doing it again, I'd save the extra money they charged me for the eRDP.

If they are a PADI shop, they can also connect with PADI's online e-learning program. If they're not, they'll obviously have different materials for you. Consulting with them should also get you an idea of what other requirements they have for doing the class (for example, many shops require that you buy mask, fins, and snorkel to take an OW class - knowing that before you get to Key West may save you time and money).

Again, if any of this is too obvious, please accept my apologies. Have a great time in Key West, and good luck with your OW class!

For what it's worth, the book, tables and logbook are the only ownership required materials; you are required to view the DVD, not own it. If the training location is requiring you to buy the OW Crewpack w/DVD, they are just requiring you to Put Another Dollar Into their pocket (& PADI's).

And if you get the CD you have the book, the video and up to 5 people can use it and the videos are set in places of the book that they coincide with, making the video much more usable.

I start my OW classes next month, but I've been reading voraciously for the past 6 months, past posts, certified diver's handbook, diver down, few others... I also found the entire PADI Go Dive! (5 sessions) on 2 VHS tapes on ebay for like a buck! :)

My LDS is SDI but I feel I've got a real good handle on whatever OW is gonna throw at me. I'm not too crazy about payin' the $85 in "training materials" for information I'm sure I already know, but I'll jus' chalk it up as part of the $ it takes to have an amicable relationship w/ my lds.

I start my OW classes next month, but I've been reading voraciously for the past 6 months, past posts, certified diver's handbook, diver down, few others... I also found the entire PADI Go Dive! (5 sessions) on 2 VHS tapes on ebay for like a buck! :)

My LDS is SDI but I feel I've got a real good handle on whatever OW is gonna throw at me. I'm not too crazy about payin' the $85 in "training materials" for information I'm sure I already know, but I'll jus' chalk it up as part of the $ it takes to have an amicable relationship w/ my lds.

Sounds like you're going to get alot more out of your OW class than others. You might even know a bit more than your instructor too, :wink:. Good for you.

Thanks so much for all of the replies!

jbmooney, yes I have spoken with the dive shop in Fla. and they were the ones that sugested I read the book and and view the DVD prior to class. She did mention I do not need to own the DVD but just see it, she said if I watch it at home it will save me 3 hours of vacation time. I do have the OW manual on its way and should be here by Tuesday. I am very excited to get my cert down in the Keys. Thanks agian everyone.

The e-learning is a good option for you. I personally did the e-learning. First off, you are able to do it at your own pace and it is the exact material you will learn in the classroom. It really is very comprehensive. Here is the down side. It will cost you $120.. and you may not get a discount from the shop that completes your course. You will not however have to buy the course material which is $69.00 but that includes a log book and a dive planner chart so you might have to purchase a log book. There is a section in the online course that will take you to a page that has the dive charts. I printed the chart and laminated it so I didn't actually buy the dive chart but I guess that would be a personal choice. Good luck... your gonna love it.

Bruce

Back
Top Bottom