What would you consider your level to be?

What would you consider your level to be?

Votes: 30 14.4%
  • Beginner

Votes: 56 26.9%
  • Intermediate

Votes: 53 25.5%
  • Advanced

Votes: 52 25.0%
  • Super Diver

Votes: 12 5.8%
  • Better than Iguana Don... no, really!

Votes: 5 2.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I say Newbie. I had orignally thought I might be newbie, almost beginner. But I have downgraded myself. So much to learn and experience. I've only been certified for 14 months. Maybe 10 years from now I'll be a good solid beginner. :wink:

I am going to say somewhere between beginner and intermediate, or maybe just beginner. I started scuba in 1973 but wasn't certified until 1990, got my AOW in 1997 and am now looking at starting my rescue and dive master courses. I dont really get in the water much, but that is all going to change this year. Then maybe I can upgrade my status.

Great question(s), and one I've been posing to other folks, based on my experience (50+ dives, all warm water, max depth 110ft., no advanced certs.), as "what level diver SHOULD I consider myself"?

At heart I consider myself an advanced beginner, and I agree with the folks who say they will ALWAYS consider themselves beginners, as there is so much to learn and since EVERY dive will be new and different from the last.

But how this matches up to what dives I SHOULD be doing is a whole different question. So many dive books and info boards say things like "diving at --- reef is for ---level divers", etc., and I'm never sure how to interpret that as I'm planning my dive trips. What or who determines your level?

For instance, many locations in Cozumel are listed in dive guides as being for intermediate divers, yet in a few cases I've dived "intermediate" reefs (always planned in advance with, and under the supervision of, a qualified, experienced DM) and felt very comfortable doing so. Does that mean I'd dive Devil's Throat? No, not yet. But who's to say when ready is ready? Me? The DM?

Last February I sort of "inadvertantly" did a 110ft. dive in Coz when only 80ft. was planned (I was following the DM who unbeknownst to me was diving a different profile at the beginning with an advanced diver in our group- ultimately it was my mistake, as I should have monitored my depth independently of the DM and stopped at 80ft.). I'd never been below 85ft. before, which some sources consider a little deep for even advanced beginners, and as soon as I saw 110 on my gauge I got back onto the original dive profile. I didn't have any problems on the dive, and felt comfortable throughout, so...should I now consider myself "intermediate" and plan 100ft.+ dives often?

No, probably not. (And as some on this board have pointed out to me, there's not often a very compelling REASON to dive 100ft.+ in Coz, Devil's Throat excepted.) I discussed all this with the DM after the dive and she agreed, but she also said that, with advance study, preparation and supervision she saw no reason that I couldn't in the relatively near future, as she felt confident in my skills on the dive.

I guess it'll always be an open question to some degree. So... sorry for the long-winded non-answer! Thanks for asking though- it gets ya thinking!
FastDen :rainbow:

Hm....

I consider myself a bit more than advnced, so I was tempted to choose the super. It dosen't mean I dont have anything new to learn- The day I wont have anything to learn will be the day I quit scuba. But seriousely- I find myself really enjoying diving only with a very selective groupe of divers, all veteranm instructors. when I dive with others, I alwys tend to feel responsible for them, and wouldn't act as freely as I would with my favorite buddys. I feel I should be a model for les experienced divers, and it reduces my enjoymet (not to say at the least that I do not enjoy it!!!).

I wonder how come all of the answers were written by newbie-intermidiate self-considering divers. Does all the more advanced (at least in their own eye) feel ashamed they chose this option?

wel iI hold a advance open water card but have close to 300 dives from surface to as deep at 110 some wreck some spear fishing night diving rescue ect, working on my dve master at this time my clas date is aug 24th any pointers

92 dives, plus two checkouts.
Cert, Dec 00
Last dive Nov 01, Thailand... won't be getting in much over the next two years.

Although I have dove places that people claim you need to be an advanced diver (Galapagos, some deep swimthrough dives in Coz, Cenotes) I still consider myself a newbie/beginner. I grew up around water, have good bouyancy control but I have very little training ('A'OW), wouldn't know exactly what to do in an emergency, wouldn't even consider diving alone, don't know enough sea life by name... the list goes on and on.....

Advanced - definately. I've been diving since 1984 and enjoyed every dive since. I have not ventured into "nitrox" diving just yet, but that is something that I want to get into here soon. I doubt that I will ever explore the regions of the "really insane deepness" that the Techie do. :notworthy

I was certified in 1976 by the now defunct NASDS. I have their OWII certification, which included Nav, Rescue, Search/Recovery, Deep and Night diving. It also included OOA ascent training from depths of 40 or 50 feet.

I have a pile of old log books that I tried to go through last year. It looks like I have around 300 logged dives. Those don't include research diving I did through college, or the dives I made for the 8 yrs. I lived in New Orleans after college. I don't log shallow practice dives at local training facilities (like Blue Lagoon, in Huntsville, TX), or some of the shallow river dives (like float trips down the Comal River in San Marcos).

I've done blackwater, bluewater and deep dives. I've made a little money recovering valuables from lakes and rivers, but I hold no commercial or advanced ratings. I've even been told my OWII training was not the equivalent of AOW, so I make take one of those classes so I can go on "advanced" trips.

My last dives were in July (6 dives, 4 solo and 2 from a charter boat in Panama City, FL. The dives, from 65' to 90', were fantastic). Because of a free diving injury on that same trip I am banned from diving until after my next checkup in September (sniff, sniff). I did put on my gear last night and lay on the bottom of our pool, which is 9 feet deep. It felt great, but my wife gave me and odd look when I came out of the water. I don't guess that counted as a dive, but maybe as a session in UW Yoga.

No, it didn't bother my injury.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom