What Would You Do? E-PL2 or XZ-1?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chrise1004

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi All,

I've got a case of analysis paralysis, and would love some thoughts to help me break out of it. I'm looking to build up an underwater setup, and am stuck between the E-PL2 and the XZ-1, and here is why.

I currently own an E-PL2 with the standard lens, the 9-18mm, and the telephoto lens...also the VF-2 viewfinder. I'm wondering if I should build that up into an underwater kit, or go for an XZ-1. Looking at all my options, even though I currently own the E-PL2 with a couple lenses, it still seems a lot more expensive to go with the E-PL2 based on the following links:

Optical Ocean Olympus PT-EP03 System - Olympus Micro Four Thirds Cameras, Housings & Accessories - Optical Ocean Sales Underwater Photo - 800-359-1295!

Olympus XZ-1 Camera + PT-050 Complete System - Camera/Housing & Lighting Packages - Olympus Point & Shoot Housings & Cameras - Optical Ocean Sales Underwater Photo - 800-359-1295!

Looking at both links, the price is around the same, but with the E-PL2 I still have to invest another 500 dollars to use the wide angle in the way of the Zen Port.

What are your thoughts everyone? Their really is no right or wrong answer I'm thinking, just looking for some opinions to give me food for thought prior to making a decision either way.

Thank you very much in advance for any help!!!!

In XZ-1 you also have to invest in to WA wet lensOlympus PTWC-01 Wide Angle Lens. So If I where you I would stay on EPL2. You could have better result with DOME comparison to WET LENS/ Also DOME port theoretically could be reused in future.

Give me a call and we can discuss. I think the E-PL2 is going to be a much better system for you, especially since you have the camera and lenses.
The XZ-1 is a great little camera and I'm starting to shoot it myself. But it is more of a "move up" camera, still quite good, but nowhere near as capable and able to be expanded like the E-PL2.
The other poster is quite right you would spend nearly the same amount on a wet mount w/a lens and is isn't nearly as sharp as the 9-18 behind the Zen.
Also we now have the new Nauticam E-PL2 housing system in stock with lots of port choices for the Oly and Pany lenses. I'm just now taking photos and will get them up on the site soon.

It depend on how far you want to go.
I have EPL-1 and XZ-1 set-up. Typically, the EPL-1 w/ 7-14mm is in my hand and my daughter with the XZ-1+ macro wet lens.
If I can choose one camera only or if the ZX-1 is released a year earlier, then I might not own EPL-1. I like to shoot jackfish school or bumphead school and harlequin shrimp or bagibanti on the same dive.

I have a unique perspective, having owned then sold a housed xz-1 and purchased an E-PL2 and housing.

If you care about technical image quality,the E-PL2 is far and away the best. The sensor is about 7 times larger and it really shows. If you shoot for the web or viewing on a monitor, then that will not matter so much. If you want to do serious editing and printing up to 20x24, or hope to publish in magazines or books, then the E-PL2 is a far superior option.

I liked the xz-1 a lot and only sold it because it would not do TTL with my flashes. I was not looking for better image quality, but there is no going back from the E-PL2. I would not consider any "compact" again, even the high-end ones.

You already have the best, why settle for less? This is a no-brainer. don't be paralyzed about the hype over compact cameras. they are fine for what they are but will never compare in quality to what you have.

As for cost, with the xz-1, you would have to pay $350 fo rthe Oly wide angle lens (which is truly excellent, by the way). But, you have a far higher quality lens with the 9-18, and the port is $500, so for just a little more you get a much better set-up.

One of the questions the average diver like myself, who uses his camera for memory snapshots and not publications, the better sensor or the EPL series will provide a much better quality image of low light scenarios such as wrecks, or it may provide a better image of a turtle or shark that is seen that we want to share with family and friends. Plus, if you are using the EPL for land use the rest of the year, then the EPL is more appealing since it will provide better quality images on land as well. The downside is the slightly larger size with the housing that the diver will have to contend with versus a point and shoot. The average diver always struggles with buoyancy anyway and the larger size could be a hinderance.

If you don't plan on using a strobe, then the XZ1 is probably a better solution. You will be able to use the internal flash and it's a smaller package.
But, if you using a strobe, I would contend that the epl2 + strobe really won't feel too much different underwater than the xz1 + strobe. So, I don't see size as a big factor if using a strobe. I went from a tiny Fuji F30 with a D2000 to the epl2 with the same D2000. Yes, it's bigger, but hardly noticable.

If you're having trouble with buoyancy, then you won't want to contend with a strobe.

I think the only size that matters here is the size of the sensors. If you are using a strobe and a WA lens (Zen or PTWC-01) then the camera / housing/ strobe size of both sytems is negligible.
However, with the 7 times larger sensor, you get a lot of extra quality and flexibility.
I waited for a long time for a DSLR quality camera with a somewhat compact profile and good live view for U/W and the PEN series is just what I was looking for.
You already have the best solution, get a housing and ZEN dome and you will be loving your decision.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom