What would you like to be able to do better?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nav is probably my big skills issue- I over-rely on more experienced dive buddies or DMs and have a very poor sense of direction.

I'd also love to develop sufficient upper body strength to haul myself onto boats without ladders- in the tropics with full foot fins I am fine, but with my avanti quattros and big boots, I need a burly boat crew member or sympathetic diver to haul me in. Neither elegant nor empowering!

There are heaps of other things I'd like to hone, but these are the two I am embarrassingly bad at!

I have to agree with Dirty-Dog and say everything ! The more I dive the more I realise that there is always more to learn. Right now I'm starting out down the rebreather path so I have my new challenge for thenext few years.

The only thing I have a problem with is Buoyancy Control and Emergency Swimming Ascent. Besides those two everything comes naturally.

I've done my entries and exits with fins in hand -- but that's part of the problem with the exits. When I stop to take my fins off, I get hit by the waves and knocked down!

Rob -- When are you going to be in Vancouver again?

Doing "lessons" with AG was the best thing that happened to my diving.

Couple immediate ones that come to mind that if improved would lead to celebration with the biggest baddest cake - clipping, attaching and knotting things.

I am absolute klutz with my fingers when it comes to little stuff and of course drygloved will not improve things one bit. I feel like am half blind poking at my body trying to attach things like regs, lights, extra tanks onto my gear chicken-winged - somehow all my body parts must have shifted. I have about given up practice periodically because it's disheartening to wonder if any improvement is happening or not.

On the other hand I am useless with knots. I look at string and I have a clear idea but things just don't come out right. I am like the kid who can't get the shoes on the right feet (I was never that kid before!) Right now this has been a big deal because I need to tie a lot of things.

Certainly, if I could change something massive, I would change my ears and balance too. They suck too.

Rob -- When are you going to be in Vancouver again?

Doing "lessons" with AG was the best thing that happened to my diving.

Assuming those two thoughts are connected then I'll certainly let you know. I don't have any concrete plans yet but I'm thinking I may take a week in Vancouver at some point next year.

R..

compass navigation. when i stumble on anything in a quarry while leading, i'm more surprised than larry. and i don't even listen if he's getting directions because i won't be any help anyway. i'm not like that on land.

everything sidemount. i don't have the sm comfort level at all yet. sigh.

leading dives & reel work. i can do it, but the 'big picture' eludes me & the line ends up being serviceable but not neat, if you get me.

reeling & handling buoyancy changes. really tough for me. i don't have enough hands.

many things I could do better, and diving more would help, but bigger than that ... I would like a good mentor , my instructor has been one, and a friend I've made/met from scuba board is another
... yeah, I can see I just need to hook up and dive more with people I trust

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom