What would you like to be able to do better?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've done my entries and exits with fins in hand -- but that's part of the problem with the exits. When I stop to take my fins off, I get hit by the waves and knocked down!

One of my challenges in shore diving is getting my fins on and off. My husband who is a saint has to help me...We have tried different straps including spring straps but I just can't seem to get them over the ridge on my drysuit boots. Add surf/ waves and you can imagine the frustration.

I have lots more things I would like to improve but the list is just too long to type.

I've done my entries and exits with fins in hand -- but that's part of the problem with the exits. When I stop to take my fins off, I get hit by the waves and knocked down!

When you get to water shallow enough to stand and remove your fins (3 - 4 ft) , don't. Try staying UW at that location and remove your fins staying below the waves. Then stand and, hopefully, get knocked over a bit less. Another alternative is to stand and use your buddy for support. Then, one at a time, you and your buddy don or doff the fins. But, once again, don't expect anything more than a reduction in the frequency of tumbles.

I wish my fine control was better. I find that I often end up getting pushed into my buddies due to surge and struggle to get apart. I generally switch to a modified flutter so I don't continue to kick my buddy, but if I could somehow figure out how to propel myself directly sideways, that would be awesome! But I suspect it's going to be a matter of improving my back kick so I can turn and then back kick away....so my back kick is another thing I'd like to improve. I can back kick, but it's not strong enough to win a battle against surge!

It like to save more money so I could dive more.
And then just let every dive add to my skills.

When you get to water shallow enough to stand and remove your fins (3 - 4 ft) , don't. Try staying UW at that location and remove your fins staying below the waves. Then stand and, hopefully, get knocked over a bit less. Another alternative is to stand and use your buddy for support. Then, one at a time, you and your buddy don or doff the fins. But, once again, don't expect anything more than a reduction in the frequency of tumbles.
I find it easier to stay well outside the breakers when removing my fins and just scooter in. Most of the time when I am shore diving my scooter is in my hand though. Most of the divers TSandM is diving with are using scooters right?

My biggest concern right now is navigation. Much of the time I find my way back to the boat, but sometimes I wind up far away. Not good in our possible high current areas with remote destinations. Our vis is usually 20' or less and a compass is a tool that gets focused on. I suppose I need to add running a reel better into the mix too.

Edited to make it less confusing...

Last edited:
Reverse finning. I just can't get it. Watched the videos. Can hover perfectly in position without movement. helicopter turns ok, Just can't get any backward movement. frustrating!

One thing is streamlining my gear. Although I have worked on it a lot, I am still not satisfied that it is as minimal and streamlined as it could be.

Another thing is photography. Some of these guys are unbelievable divers! I think I might be coming down with a touch of the camera bug.

Alternate kicks, my frog & back kick are, well, somewhat lacking. Nailing ascent rates would be good too. I'v done less than a dozen shore dives, so they could definitely be improved. Just about everything except falling off a boat really.

I do not get a chance to dive with my 7mm farmer john as often as I'd like, so I think being better with my buoyancy in that suit is high on my list.

I think I might be signing up for DM this coming week if things work out, I am sure to have a long list of things to improve shortly:shocked2:

TS&M, I found for me the best method, well, first off if you have some time to check the sets, waves usually come in cycles, 3-5 in a row then a break, or lull. Try to remove fins and high tail it out during this lull. Otherwise, stand sideways to the surf line, remove the outside fin first, and if a wave comes lean full into the wave. Instead of knocking you down it will stand you back up. Try this without gear if you can to get a feel for the timing and such.

One of my challenges in shore diving is getting my fins on and off. My husband who is a saint has to help me...We have tried different straps including spring straps but I just can't seem to get them over the ridge on my drysuit boots. Add surf/ waves and you can imagine the frustration.

I have lots more things I would like to improve but the list is just too long to type.

I just read an ad for fins that flip up so you can walk on land normally with them. Anyone heard of them? For me, there is lot's to do better, SAC rate is one. Also, removing and replacing the unit. I think I've always struggled because my buckle straps are real skinny and they are hard to locate. New BCD maybe. Dow Jones at 15,000 would do it.

Back
Top Bottom