What's a semi-dry suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glotsalot:
I'm shopping for a new wet suit. I came across a suit that was described as "semi-dry". What does that mean? Is it going to be warmer than a comparable wet suit?
They are better described as simi-wet. The big difference between a simi-dry and a wet suit are that it is more difficult for the water to get in or out. This means that the water traped underneath does not circulate as much so as it warms up to your body temperature it is not as quickly replaced with cold water.

What's a semi-dry suit?

heheh.. it's a NEW Dry suit AFTER it paid for or after the 2nd dive...
Which ever comes first..

(just joking here, not a clue?)

James Goddard:
They are better described as simi-wet. The big difference between a simi-dry and a wet suit are that it is more difficult for the water to get in or out. This means that the water traped underneath does not circulate as much so as it warms up to your body temperature it is not as quickly replaced with cold water.
This is done by putting gaskets at the wrists and lower legs. It's somewhat warmer than an ordinary wetsuit of the same thickness. Some people don the suit and pour warm water in before diving.

MgicTwnger:
This is done by putting gaskets at the wrists and lower legs. .

LOL....
Sounds like a "Dry?" Suit to me... :eyebrow: (joking)

OR...

Or think they're still in a wetsuit, pee and then discover that "hey, I'm much warmer than before???.... Whoops !!..." :11:

A good example of a Semi Dry is the Henderson Gold Core Semi Dry. It's a full 7mm suit with a hood built in. Almost the entire suit is lined in Gold Core wich greatly reduces water flushing and therefore remains warmer. I highly recomend this suit if you don't want (or can't get) a Dry Suit. When I use my Semi Dry I turn back the wrists a bit to expose the gold core then I attach my gold core gloves and the seal is VERY true on all entry points. I also wear a a shorty over the suit to seal the zipper better and for more layering.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom