What's amiss?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'd like to bounce something off of y'all.

I recently did some of my certification dives. After one of the dives (~40 feet, 20 min.) I felt a bit woozy upon exiting the water, and a but nauseated too. There was a little bit of blood in my spit - not bright red and in great quantity, but just a little bit so that I could taste it and see a slight pink color in my sputum. There was none in my mask, nor did any come out of my nose. The descent was slow (necessarily so, because equalization is a pain in the butt for me) and the ascent was gradual, as well. I breathed constantly during the dive.

I experienced something similar during my pool training dives - the same very slight dizziness, a touch of nausea, and a little bit of blood in my mouth. I chalked that one up to it being something new and me being prone to slight nosebleeds.

After the dives I felt quite tired - and my ears did a bit of intermittant, slight popping for a few hours afterwards. But I had no headache, no chest pain, no (known) sinus problems, or anything else that I can think of.

Could a reverse squeeze in my middle ear cause such signs/symptoms, or pressure differences between the right and left affecting my vestibular nerves?

Thanks a bunch,

-Greenblackplaid

The tiredness most probably is due to bubble formation, a kind of "silent bubbles", it is rather common for divers to get tired after the dive, usually doing the safety stop helps ease up the simptoms. CO2 could also be a cause, but this usually causes headache as well, which you mentioned you did't have. CO2 build up can be corrected by correct breathing, no short breaths, inhale around 3/4 of you lung and without pause exhale long.

The blood, as you mentioned problem to equalize, should be consequence of effort to equalize your ears. The channels are the all connected, so although far more common to have blood coming from your nose, it can also come mixed in your sputum. With time, if you dive frequently, equalizing will be almost automatic and effortless and this bleeding tend to disapear.

Please notice I am no doctor, I explained what I know from experience only, so I suggest you talk to a doctor to clear your doubts, a DAN doctor surely would give better explanation and if he judge it is necessary suggest you go look a doctor.

you say equalization is a pain in the butt for you, and that you emerge dizzy ... this leads me to suspect you have some issues which are affecting your inner-ear ...

the blood in your spit is probably unrelated, perhaps a gum issue from biting the regulator

i would suggest you see a doctor who is aware of diving issues and explain the problem. a good nose/throat/ear checkup will help as well

okay - it's unlikely to be a reverse squeeze - you would know about that!

headache, nausea, 'wooziness' are all classic symptoms of decompression sickness - ie 'the bends' however they are also symptoms of a hangover, dehydration, heat exhaustion, etc. etc.!

I don't know you, obviously, but it may be you're simply unfit - you use a bunch of muscles when you dive that you don't necessarily use in the same way when you're at the surface.

The fact that it happens in a swimming pool makes me think it's none of the above, and you should see a doctor - preferably one trained in hyperbaric medicine (DAN can help, even if you're not a member). It's also worth asking for a check to see if you have a 'hole in the heart' (PFO or Patent Foramen Ovale). It's possible you have a vestibular problem - as I am sure you know, the vestibular canals are responsible for a sense of balance. There are condition which cause the fluid in these tubes to crystallise which then affects your sense of balance. My mother has this problem (although she is a non-diver) but you would also notice this on the surface.

Speak to a hyperbaric doctor - he or she may well tell you that you should not go diving at all - please be prepared for that - but they may be able to advise on operations of medications. Without knowing you, none of us can judge, so do yourself a favour and see a qualified medic.

I hope that helps,

C.

I also agree with seeing a doctor that knows dive medicine. It could be a problem with clearing your ears, but it could also be a more serious problem. You could have a concomittant problem that is showing up with diving. Blood in your sputum, (if it is coming from the lungs) is a sign of something. If you are simply spitting out some blood it could be from sinuses, gums, etc. I would see a doctor before your dive again. Just my .02

I agree with seeing the doctor, but the blood in your spit could very well be a gum irritation issue as was previously stated.

Ears popping a lot after diving is pretty common.

The tiredness may be from several things... you may have had lowered core temperature which can make you tired after a dive, for one thing yet unmentioned.

If you are concerned, call DAN and talk to somebody there.

Absolutely talk to a doctor with scuba knowledge.

But talk to your Instructor about it too! Did he/she know about the issue you were having during your certification? Your instructor is trained and prepared to work with you more on equalization, proper ascent rates, talking about your wooziness and fatigue, etc.

Diving is a new sensation and affects people physically in ways they sometimes haven't experienced before. There is no shame in having open dialogue with your instructor about how you are feeling. If they're worth their salt, they'll be happy to help you "get to the bottom of it"!!

Try the 45 min vid in my Sig for help equalizing. Should help.

I recently did some of my certification dives. After one of the dives (~40 feet, 20 min.) I felt a bit woozy upon exiting the water, and a but nauseated too
I experienced something similar during my pool training dives
-

and my ears did a bit of intermittant, slight popping for a few hours afterwards.
Sorry if I'm repeating, I'll read the other responses in a minute.

My guess is that you have something going on in your middle/inner ear. The feelings you have are typical of DCS but dizzyness, nausea and vomiting can also be caused by inner ear barotrauma. Given your experience, the knowledge that you're having trouble equalizing and the fact that it happened in a pool, I'm betting it's an ear problem.

Before diving again you really need to make your way to an ENT. Let me say this again: Before diving again you really need to make your way to an ENT

Note: I'm not a doctor and this is not medical advice. That's why you need to see an ENT.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom