What's not acceptable for OW training?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fisherdvm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
In my opinion, a student completing OW training should NOT have the following gears:

1. Purge valve mask.
2. Weight integrated BC (at least until you've completed the donning/removal exercise; at least not using that feature until you've completed the drills).
3. Up/down push button BC.
4. One way inflator hose that comes with the up/down push button BC.

I believe that a rescue student should be exposed to all types of BC, releases, and weight integration. But for the basic OW student, one should be accomplished at all the skills required using a standard BC, with standard inflator hose, and weight belt. Once they've mastered that, then they can dive any gears they chose.

In my opinion, a student completing OW training should NOT have the following gears:

1. Purge valve mask.

Very true. I took my classes with a friend and they made her clear her mask the regular way anyway. Not worth the money in my opinion anyway...they break, get sand in them, etc...

2. Weight integrated BC (at least until you've completed the donning/removal exercise; at least not using that feature until you've completed the drills).

This really depends. If the person already has a weight integrated BC that they've purchased, they can still use a weight belt with it during the training. Otherwise, I would think that it would be wise to teach them how to don and remove the weights in a weight integrated BC.

Absolutely not. Could become dangerous if the person uses another BC when diving for some reason.

Agreed.

My argument against up down push button BC is that if you are only accustomed to these BCs, when your BC fails you, and you borrow or rent a regular BC - you might not function well, if you don't know how it works. Seems simple, yet a little complicated if it is not second nature.

Pull hose to inflate with a one way valve allows for easy inflation with these BC's. But give them a regular BC, they're out of air, and they don't know how to inflate it manually, could mean panic and drowning at the surface.

I think weight integrations are very nice. But one still should learn how to don and undon a weight belt at the surface. Even with weight integration, it is still necessary at times to add a weight belt... Especially when you're diving dry or with lots of neoprene.

1. Purge valve mask.

I believe that a rescue student should be exposed to all types of BC, releases, and weight integration. But for the basic OW student, one should be accomplished at all the skills required using a standard BC, with standard inflator hose, and weight belt. Once they've mastered that, then they can dive any gears they chose.

Why?

If a student owns the gear, then he/she should use it in their training to gain confidence in it and themselves. It makes no sense to add to their confusion.

BTW, I attended a pool demo of the Aqualung i3 BC. Every diver (10+) that tried it out, both new and very well seasoned divers, came out expressing great satisfaction in the BC and the way the controller worked.

Not to say these gears are not pleasant to use. They are. That's exactly why they shouldn't be used in the initial demonstration of mastery of these skills.

If you are trained to drive only automatic cars, and went somewhere where only stickshifts were allowed. Would you be at disadvantage?

If the push button BC's fail or if you had to borrow a regular mask - can you use these gears? That's what the OW card should do - allow one to use most Bc's, most masks, or weight belts - without problems at the surface, or down under.

I don't see any reason to deny this type of BCD to the student during OW training. If that is what they are going to use, then they should train with it. AFAIK, the standard is to demonstrate removal and replacement of the weighting system and not exclusvely a weight belt. If you want them to demonstrate the skill with a weight belt, then have them move some of their weight onto one. I have seen students have more difficulty getting their weight pouches back in than they have putting on the weight belt.
Your are asking for a bit too much IMO and it is a rather broad statement. All types of BC include what? (jacket, jacket weight integrated, back inflate, back inflate weight integrated, BP/W, any of the previous with a weight harness - there are just too many combinations to make this practical). This could be extended to include ensuring they are exposed to someone wearing a drysuit because of the extra connection.

I agree with your other choices but it seems to me that #2 would preclude one from learning while using a stainless steel bp/w since quite a bit of weight is 'integrated' there.

Cheers.

-J.-

So you think its safer for a new diver to learn new gear on dive 5 (1st one after OW, likely on their own) versus in th pool or on dives 1-4 where there is an instructor next to them?

I could understand the idea of not teaching students to not use the i3. It could lead to confusion if the student decides to use a different BC. I don't see why students should not be allowed to learn on a weight integrated BC. I got my OW cert while using a weight integrated BC and I nor any of the other students had a problem using it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom