What's not acceptable for OW training?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is all that needs to be said. Anyone who spends anytime on the board knows that you are an instructor with very strict standards. If you can't see a reason for the OP's opinion, there probably isn't a good one.

We still have toy licence (automatic) or full.

A full holder can drive either - an automatic can only drive an automatic (if they can find one to rent or buy anywhere)

Get that goddamned fly off my screen!!!!!!

I'm sure that Johnny B knew was being referred to. His point still stands as a valid one. With my SS BP, there is no weight to drop at all. I wear no weight on a weight belt or in pockets. Based on the OP's line of thought, I should not train in that either, as I can't ditch a weight belt.

"Should be pretty obvious to anyone who's been around diving or this site very long." :wink:

Yeap. Thanks ID. No need to train on weight belt removal if a weight belt is not there :coffee:

J.

To be honest with you, if you dove with a buddy, and didn't show him your hidden inflate hose - he'd be hard pressed to find it if you were unconscious or panicking at the surface. In the same way, if I dove with your BC, it will take at least three or four dives to overcome my instinct to grab for the inflator hose. And if you advanced to rescue class, familiarity with other BC's is necessary to perform surface inflation of another's BC. I would find it easier to deal with a panicking diver with a long inflator hose than one with a hidden straw inflate hose. At least I can secure their tank with one hand and reach for the hose to inflate from the safety of my position.

Manual inflation of the BC is appropriate if you want to conserve tank air, or are out of air, but otherwise calm and in control. It is not appropriate in a panic/emergency situation, for that we ditch weight. It would never even occur to me to try to orally inflate another divers BC. If the diver is responsive and following directions I would (and have) tell them to use the power inflator, the oral inflator, and then ditch their weights in that order. If the diver is unresponsive I would attempt to use their power inflator and if that didn't work, then ditch his weight.

Any talk about banning any type of gear (proper use of the word in this context singular or group --gears is only appropriate when referring to multiple machine parts) is foolish, counterproductive and "nanny state" thinking. The ultimate prerequisite that I have for my students is that they be responsible, thinking human beings. This should allow them to notice any differences between what they were trained in and what is in their hands right now and if they get anything unfamiliar to ASK QUESTIONS. Same answer if their buddy has unfamiliar gear.

For a Dork Diver, doth protest too much! :D :dork2:
:D

Ouch, ouch, ouch! I guess there is nothing less dorky than purge mask, giant sized knobby dry snorkel, and push button BC with split fin! Unless you were to ornate it with retractable spg keeper, orange octo dust protector, and my personal yellow Spare Air!

As for cars when I was in Brazil I was told I could not drive a stick as all we drove in the US were automatics.

We rented a car in Cozumel - and they didn't even ask if we could drive a stick - just sent us out the door with one.

We still have toy licence (automatic) or full.

A full holder can drive either - an automatic can only drive an automatic (if they can find one to rent or buy anywhere)

Actually, as long as you are buying new it isn't a problem - a good number of cars offer both manual and automatic as long as you know to ask about it. We've had 8 cars over the past 30 years. Only 2 were automatic - the one my parents gave us as a hand-me-down, and the Insight I bought after they stopped making them. If you want one of those on the resale market, you either wait a LONG time, or you take what you can get (in my case it was an automatic :( - but love that 52-65 mpg :) )

Rental cars, in the US - haven't found a manual yet.

FWIW, our teenage daughter drives a stick (we just laughed when her driver's ed instructor suggested we rent an automatic for her).

Now - as to diving - the "toy" that drives me batty is the Air 2.

:popcorn:

BTW, I attended a pool demo of the Aqualung i3 BC. Every diver (10+) that tried it out, both new and very well seasoned divers, came out expressing great satisfaction in the BC and the way the controller worked.[/FONT][/COLOR]

I Just got an I3 and my wife got the I3 pearl....great BC. I feel I have more control during accent and decent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom